Is my little chick okay?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Laughingjax, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Laughingjax

Laughingjax Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hello people, I am the proud new mum of 4 cute little chickens. I got them at 10 days old (born on christmas day) and all was going well until about 2 weeks ago. One of my chicks is a black and white plymouth rock and was the second biggest when I first got them and now she is the smallest by a long shot. I have been watching her a lot and it looks like she has hardly grown in the last 2 weeks as the other chicks are twice her size. She is eating and drinking like the others and cleaning herself and scratching and all that, but she seems a little bit wobbly on her legs when she tries to clean her back and when balancing on one foot to clean the other. Also she squeals when she goes to the toilet, probably 7 times out of 10. Is she sick or am I just being a worry wart?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

Does she manage to pass something when she goes? I'm thinking if she's having trouble in that department a little olive oil in her diet can help loosen things up a bit. What you can also try is adding some organic, unfiltered ACV (apple cider vinegar) to their drink water. The ratio is 4-5 tablespoons to a gallon water. Hopefully that will help. Also plain yoghurt as a treat now and then is very good for keeping chicks' guts healthy. Good luck with her!

3. Laughingjax

Jan 29, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Oh thank you so much Sumi for your quick reply [​IMG] She does pass every time but it looks quite hard and long sausage like shape. I will try to upload a photo. All these thing sound great I will give them all a go. Is it okay if the other 3 chicks who are fine to have these things you have suggested or should I separate her from the others? She doesn't really like being away from the others even when I'm carrying them out side one by one. I don't want to stress her out even more? Thank you so much for your reply[​IMG]

4. Laughingjax

Jan 29, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jma6004

jma6004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2013
    Carencro, LA
    Im no expert but from my experince this does not sound infectious as she has been this way for some time. I still would consider seperating her for a few reasons. First, it may decrease her stress and give her freedom to eat and drink when she wants. Also, if it is some disease on the off chance, she will not infect the rest. Good Luck.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Olive oil (in moderation), ACV and plain yoghurt are good for chicks, so the others will benefit from it too.

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I agree with sumi on the ACV and DEF Yogurt. Do you have a pic of this chick with the others so we can compare the size?

8. Laughingjax

Jan 29, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Here is a few pics that I just took. Introducing........
    Eenie- Gold laced Wyandotte, she is the biggest and always has been, looks after Moe a lot and are always together
    Meenie- Buff Orpington or possibly a mixed breed. The seller couldn't guarantee if she was pure. Has always been the first to do things, very adventurous
    Miney- Australorp cross, personality wise- just starting to come out of her shell now [​IMG] hehehehehe
    Moe- My darling little barred Plymouth Rock, whom all this worry is about

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. HeeereChicken

HeeereChicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2012
    cute chicks...hope your little one feels better soon[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by