Is my little Polish a pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chic_girl, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Chic_girl

Chic_girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    This is one of the first chicks I hatched, and the only Polish egg that made it to lockdown! Now what is it? I'm getting rooster vibes, so I'm 98% sure his name will be Tyrone, but is there a chance his name will be Shakira?

I know its probably far too early to guess reliably, but who doesn't like guessing games! He is slightly over 4 weeks old, has very little wattle growth. He doesn't have a comb, but his father, Matthias doesn't have one either. If we go by the statement "friendly chicks turn out to be roos!" he's probably a rooster- he enjoys flying up onto my head when I'm not paying attention.

Thank you for all your help! Polish are one of the hardest to sex as babies, next to EEs and Silkies!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i want to say cockerel as i see slight redness on the comb in the 2nd pic but im not sure

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I, too, would guess roo.

4. Chic_girl

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    *sigh* I knew it! We'll probably keep him anyway, or give him away with one of our other polish to another 4-H member. He's too cute!

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    hang on to it a little bit longer to make sure

6. Chic_girl

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    [​IMG] Of course! He's too cute to go anywhere just yet.
    I just hope he doesn't start getting beat up by our little barred Rock cockerel, (who was supposed to be a sexed hen) and get a bald spot like his dad...

7. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Still way too early to tell. My blue Polish had an explosion of red in its comb and waddles when it was about six weeks old, and then we knew (pretty much) that it was a roo. The crest on yours looks fairly full to me, which means it still might be a hen.

P.S.-- Chic_girl, did the feathers grow back on your Polish that got pecked by the barred rocks? The very same thing happened to my Polish. My three barred rock hens turned on him even though they had been in the same coop for a few days without any problems. They pecked right at the white crest.

8. Chic_girl

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    Unfortunately, no... My Polish rooster (not the chick) has had his bald spot for almost 6 months. I've tried Blu-Kote, and even pine tar, but every time little blood feathers appear, they get plucked again by my bantam Brahma rooster, though I have found blood on my Brahma lady's beak. It may be a dominance thing, or it may be for a lack of iron or sodium. Who knows?[​IMG]

9. Frizzlechics

Frizzlechics Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2013
    Alpharetta
    no I say pullet. I have one that looks exactly like yours. I don't see anything red??

10. Frizzlechics

Frizzlechics Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2013
    Alpharetta
    Look up Cackle Hatchery and push on special or rare breed. then push on Polish. then White crested. you will see yours is a pullet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by