Is my little silkie a girl or boy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tharrell, Dec 6, 2008.

1. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I was hoping someone could help me figure out the gender of my silkie. He/she is 13 weeks old, and here are some pictures. I am really hoping for a pullet because I can't keep roos in my city. Thanks for the help!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. andorraclaim

andorraclaim Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    East Austin, Texas
    Me thinks pullet.

3. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

If someone could tell ya, would someone mind photoshopping circles around the things you are looking at to sex them...like if it's a certain shape of the crest could you trace what we are supposed to be looking at?? (Of course if it's ok with the OP)

I am thinking it looks Pullet-y to me, but I haven't a clue what to look for. With out a doubt i can see why you'd like to keep him/her. It's a lovely bird [​IMG]

4. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    mrsengeseth, that is a really great idea! Hopefully both of you are right and she is a little girl. And mrsengeseth, where are you at in CO? I'm in the Springs.

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Looks alot like my 15 week old chick who i was told was a roo. I'm still on the fence i need updated pics of that chick..LOL

If I had to guess and a GUESS ONLY I'd say pullet.

6. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

Looks like a pullet

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Sorry, thats a boy. The comb growth is too much already for it to be a girl, and it has streamers coming off the crest already. Picture 4, on the left side of the head in the blue area, those longer feahters appear to be streamers.

8. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I say pullet right now.

I don't see any obvious streamers in her top knot or any shiny hackle feathers. Although, she is still pretty young to tell.

9. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Yeah, I think it's a roo! A pretty one at that! [​IMG]

10. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    I'm gunna go with cockeral. I agree that the comb is too big already to be a pullet.
    [​IMG]
    These are my two silkie girls at 5-6 months old. That's oatmeal on their faces. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by