Is my loving Sylvia a Cochin or Brahma? I am clueless - lots of pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HorseFeatherz NV, Jan 7, 2010.

1. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I thought she was a Cochin but after broody housing with my LF Cochin, I really started to wonder. So I have been looking online at pictures of the Brahmas – I wonder if she is a Brahma?

She has a very small single comb. (ETA - not Brahma-ish says my online research)

She does not have the nice soft fluffy rump that my other LF Cochin has nor my bantams.

Her body shape seems “off” compared to a Cochin.

Her throat/neck does not seem Cochin at all. Her feet are feathered on the outside, the middle toe has a few feather shafts/bumps but very, very few.
    I do not have, nor have I ever had to my knowledge a Brahma, so…….until recently *thought* she was a poor quality Cochin. By “poor quality” I mean compared to standard – not that I am well educated with Cochin standard.

I did not raise her from a chick, instead she decided she was coming home with me last August when another BYC member was dispersing her flock. (Sylvia followed me around like a dog – she still does – and pecked at my pant leg when I stopped paying attention to her) I also did not ask her what breed Sylvia was, I just assumed Cochin.

I have almost talked myself into her being a Brahma, but obviously I know nothing!

August 2009 - Quarantine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today, January 7, 2009 - after molt and with chicks almost 14 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What is that?
    [​IMG]

Hawk - took one of her broody chicks at 5 weeks of age. Now hunting small birds in the yard.
    [​IMG]

Thank you.

ETA again - the black water pans seen are duck bathing dishes, the ducks have finished their bath, I just had not dumped the water yet.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Silver Laced Cochins, they don't always have the best feet feathering

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    She's a hatchery-quality silver laced cochin.

4. CelticMoon1

CelticMoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Quote:Agreed. These are not at all Brahma type, and Brahmas have pea combs, not single. I've seen Silver Laced Cochins with tight feathering.

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I agree. She looks MUCH more like a Cochin than a Brahma - and I only know of one person that breeds SL Brahmas (and he is the one who created them!) so they are extremely rare.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Thank you all. [​IMG]

I knew Brahmas had a pea not single - but have read that in some breeds a single can every once in a great while "pop" up. So I wondered. [​IMG]

I did not know that SL Brahmas were a rare color. Just saw the pictures of them on Feathersite - very interesting.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by