Is My Mallard Duckling Sick?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mingmingNZ, Feb 3, 2015.

1. mingmingNZ

mingmingNZ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2015
    New Zealand
    Hi everyone,two days ago I rescued a cold and wet mallard (assuming it's a mallard about 3 days old) duckling from a park- new name Ming Ming. So Ming Ming wouldn't be lonely we have now introduced Susan and they are best duckling friends. I've noticed that compared to Susan Ming Mings breathing is quite fast and there is also a wheezing sound when she breathes- she also sneezes quite often. I've noticed that her nostrils bubble with mucas? I've kept her warm with a heat lamp, introduced sugar water and unmedicated chicken starter along with bugs that she catches in the garden, there is also enough water available for her to wash her nostrils. Apart from the noises everything seems fine but I'm worried about her. Has anyone experienced this before?

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    Yes, that sounds like a nasty upper respiratory infection, and she needs strong antibiotics. Don't self-medicate, some bacterial strains are resistant to specific antibiotics. She needs to see a vet so that they can 1) find out what's infected him, and 2) prescribe the proper antibiotic to help the problem. You need to do this ASAP, if he's already showing labored breathing it's very, very serious.

3. mingmingNZ

Feb 3, 2015
    New Zealand
    Thank you for your reply Amykins, I'll talk to my partner and organise something. I'm really worried now... I'll be heart broken if something happens to Ming Ming...

4. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Poor guy sounds like he's got a bad infection. :/ I hope you can afford the vet visit, if you can take him to an emergency clinic. Good luck, I'm rooting for lil' Ming Ming!

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Until you can get to the vet, which I hope is soon, I would add a couple of teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a pint of water and set that up in a head washer - ACV is said to have antimicrobial and tonic properties. The idea would be for Ming Ming to thoroughly rinse her nares and sinuses. It would be worth a try, I think.

6. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Well, it's better than nothing, anyway. With an infection that severe I doubt it'd make much of an impact. The lil' guy needs strong antibiotics and a lot of TLC. It's good that he's inside with you, keep him as warm and dry as you can. You've done everything by the book, right down to giving him some sugar water to help keep his energy up.

First thing in the morning, call around to all the local vets and see if any of them treat birds. Even if they don't, a microbial culture and antibiotic prescription should be standard procedure; the dosage will depend on the type of medicine as well as the size and weight of the animal, so the vet techs should be able to figure it out. But he needs to be seen as soon as you can possibly can. It'll run you about a hundred bucks, two hundred tops, if the vet is being even remotely reasonable. They'll probably prescribe a full-spectrum (gram positive and negative antimicrobial) antibiotic just to try and help while the culture is pending. Once they know what it is they'll know if the one they gave him works or if it's resistant.

I miss the days when antibiotic resistance wasn't a thing. :/

7. mingmingNZ

Feb 3, 2015
    New Zealand
    Received some antibiotics yesterday evening by donation! The little one has had two doses so far but the poor dear isn't happy from what I can tell although definitely doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I also got my hands on a heat senser thermometer so I can make sure that the brooder box she is in with her friend is warm enough- her temperature is the same as her friends today whereas last night she seemed to be running a fever. I've also called up the local wildlife bird team and they suggested that I give her some mashed up corn and beans and I've also tried to give her some mashed banana for calcium and natural sugar (the antibiotic she is on lowers calcium) but she doesn't like it- whereas her buddy Susan seems to like it. Now it's just the waiting game. Since I have had her she has loved to snuggle up to me although today she is not happy about it so I will leave her be under the heat light. I so hope these antibiotics work!!

8. mingmingNZ

Feb 3, 2015
    New Zealand
    Only just saw the post about apple cider vinegar- thank you. I will definitely try that today

9. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    When you say "donated" antibiotics, donated by who, and what specific antibiotic? Did you take it to the vet clinic?

10. mingmingNZ

Feb 3, 2015
    New Zealand
    Donated by the vets :) suspected pneumonia for poor little Ming Ming

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by