Is my Mallard male or female??

kstes347

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Grass Valley, CA
The epic story of whether my mallard is a male or female has been on-going since I got her/him...

This is Harvey, originally thought to be a boy, only to be changed to a girl once her feathers came in.

She is 15 weeks old now, and I really need to be close to 100% positive on gender because I'm about to get 2 more ducklings.

She has not laid eggs at all, has not really quacked except for a very quiet semi-quack when she thinks I'm chasing her, and she has started to molt and get some darker brown feathers on her chest.

Can anyone help me figure out what she (or maybe really he) is? I'll post some pics, let me know if I need to put more up!

98029_2011-08-11_19-20-13_898.jpg

98029_2011-07-28_18-13-46_954.jpg

98029_2011-08-29_18-00-57_467.jpg

Thank you! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi, the bill looks like it's kinda greenish in the photos, so it might be a boy. Plus, the top of his head and neck is dark like a juvenile male, too. Does it have a quiet quack?

If it's a boy, it might start getting his adult feathers in a few weeks.

I have a pair of mallards they are 4.3 month. they are male and female the female is brown like yours if it is male it will have two curled up feathers on is tail about howbut i say you have a female.

The bill says drake. Whispery soft vocalizations soon to be followed by tail curls and molting into nuptual plumage.

Back
Top Bottom