1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my Mallard male or female??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kstes347, Sep 22, 2011.

1. kstes347

kstes347 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    Grass Valley, CA
    The epic story of whether my mallard is a male or female has been on-going since I got her/him...

This is Harvey, originally thought to be a boy, only to be changed to a girl once her feathers came in.

She is 15 weeks old now, and I really need to be close to 100% positive on gender because I'm about to get 2 more ducklings.

She has not laid eggs at all, has not really quacked except for a very quiet semi-quack when she thinks I'm chasing her, and she has started to molt and get some darker brown feathers on her chest.

Can anyone help me figure out what she (or maybe really he) is? I'll post some pics, let me know if I need to put more up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you! Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Hi, the bill looks like it's kinda greenish in the photos, so it might be a boy. Plus, the top of his head and neck is dark like a juvenile male, too. Does it have a quiet quack?

If it's a boy, it might start getting his adult feathers in a few weeks.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Boy, based on the green head coloring. The back looks like the beginnings of drake feathers, and soft wasp wasp not quack points to boy.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Yup...looks like the head color is changing to green. That means a boy.

5. lonewolf72

lonewolf72 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    I have a pair of mallards they are 4.3 month. they are male and female the female is brown like yours if it is male it will have two curled up feathers on is tail about howbut i say you have a female.

6. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Drake [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The bill says drake. Whispery soft vocalizations soon to be followed by tail curls and molting into nuptual plumage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by