1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my Maran throwing up??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chixnva, Sep 22, 2016.

1. chixnva

chixnva Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2014
    northwestern va. l
    Last night when putting all chix to bed one of my Marans threw up at least that's what it looked like. It was the first night all the chix were in the big coop together. So I don't know if it was from excitement or what. She was fine this morning, vent is clear, taking h2o, food staying down, walking, squawking as usual. Does anyone have any ideas? Have checked fecal and found no worms also have dusted for mites last weekend.

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Not sure. Hopefully someone will come along soon

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sometimes birds will drink a lot of water before roosting. She may have consumed a bit too much and spit up while jostling for roosting position.
    Keep an eye on her to make sure it's not a crop issue. Gently feel the crop when she goes to roost (p.m.) just feel it with a downward motion. First thing in the morning before eating/drinking, feel it again. It should be empty or flat feeling.

4. chixnva

Sep 6, 2014
    northwestern va. l
    I will check her crop this eve and in the morning...thank you so much for answering me, I appreciate it very much

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome[​IMG]

Keep us posted.

6. chixnva

Sep 6, 2014
    northwestern va. l
    Checked her crop in the morning and all was well, she was fine that eve, and the next day sorry about not getting back sooner, granddaughter grabbed my kindle and ran off with it ...lol sometimes not sure which is worse kids or chickens! Thank you so much for your help and advice, have had chickens now for five years and never had this happen guess there's always a first for every thing

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear she is doing well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by