Is my math right??? Raising meat chicks for about $6 apiece???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by cjeanean, May 14, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Okay, so I'm trying to figure up how much it would be to raise 50 meat chicks. The feed store is trying to get rid of them, so they're dropping the price. I'm estimating 12 weeks till I butcher, since I want them to get big (which in my guesstamation would make them about 10 pounders). My flock of 25 eats about 50lbs of feed a week at 3 months old .....how much more would 50 meat birds consume? Twice that? Based on 100lbs of feed per week, for 50 meat chicks.....plus their individual cost....that averages out to $6.75 apiece.....if you divide that by .69/lb, which is about the price you'd get it in the store.....that's how much an 8lb chicken would be (a size you won't see in the store). Is my math right???? Or will they eat more than twice what a normal chicken eats????

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    The cost of raising meat birds is a little higher that what it cost to buy chicken in the stores, but you have the satifaction of knowing what they were fed and how they were treated, and they will taste better.

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I know that it seems higher, but I'm just wondering how much they'll eat.....per week. Because if 50 meat birds will eat 100lbs of feed per week for the first month, then 200lbs of feed for the second month, based on my math they'll actually end up being cheaper or, at least, the same price. Does anyone know how much feed meat birds eat? I've based my calculations on twice that of normal chickens, and $15/50lb bag of feed. If it costs $300 for 3 months, divided by 50 = $6/per bird. Plus the cost of the chick, which is $0.25 - $0.75 each. That makes it a grand total of $6.75/bird, and if it's a 10 lb bird you're looking at $0.67 per lb. Can anyone confirm my feed estimates????

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  4. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    dont forget live weight and butchered weight are very different. 10lb live weight will probably be closer to 6lbs butchered weight. (i think)

5. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I was buying a 50 lb. bag every 6 or 7 days for 30 meat birds last year and killed them after 8 weeks and they weighed 8-9 lbs each.

I think I had at least $15-$20 in each of the 30 birds.

This year I am raising 50.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  6. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Was that butchered or live weight????

7. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Butchered weight

8. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    They had constant food and water. I didnt take their food away at night. I know some people do. I wanted nice round birds for the crock pot. They were great. I have been doing meat birds for a few years now and I love it. I can't remember the last time I had store bought chicken and I dont ever care to again. This is much better.!!!

9. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    wow, that's not bad.....my estimate is based on 12 weeks, not 8....plus they're already at least 1 week old....the feed store wants to get rid of them quick, and is reducing the price......are there any certain feed criteria that need to be met???? Should I put the feed out there free choice or ration them out by feeding them three times a day???? How did you guys do it????

10. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG] Just answered my question, thanks!!! I'm just trying to figure out a rough estimate, since my MIL and her b/f are going in on the chicks, I raise them they buy them when it's time to butcher.....I want to be able to tell them how much per bird.....so after 12 weeks how big should I expect them to be??? These are hatchery cornish crosses

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by