Is my mom crazy.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by WingedD20, Oct 22, 2019.

1. WingedD20

WingedD20 In the Brooder

May 25, 2017
    My mom wants to keep the snow out of th chicken run so she basicly wants to cove the entire thing in plastic and tarps. I'm thinking something just on top would be fine for the most part. Is this crazy? 20191022_160017.jpg

2. old biddy

old biddy Songster

Sep 30, 2010
    Lamont, Florida
    Your mom sounds like me...

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Where are you located?

I ask because not all snow will slide off that structure. A snow load can take that down pretty quick.

We need more info so we can better advise you.

Is the coop part in the back wooden?
    Does it have a wall that separates it from the run so they can be closed up safe at night?

I am concerned that your set up is not predator resistant.

As to covering the whole thing in plastic to keep snow out......
    It will need ventilation.
    The structure needs to be securely attached to the ground or heavy enough that the wind cannot lift it. I do not think this meets that criteria.

Think big wind sail when the wind grabs that plastic.

4. B66AC4A6-48BF-4994-A7FD-EF5D33C9C941.png
    Lol. No. Or I am too. We want to turn our outside garden path into a green house and extend their roof to keep the snow out and keep them drier during the winter. Lol. Now that’s a lot of work. Lol.

Sequel and NHMountainMan like this.
  5. They're still going to need ventilation.

How about snow fence with big holes that will reduce the amount of snow that ever gets near the chickens but leaves them with good air circulation? Could you get your hands on some of that?

I'd maybe put snow fence a foot or so away from the enclosure on 2 sides and then she could put heavy plastic on the remaining sides, choosing them to eliminate the strongest winds.

6. KittyKat8828

KittyKat8828 Chirping

Jan 5, 2018
    kansas city, mo
    I highly suggest hard cloth with 1/4in pattern. I personally use this at 16 gauge and it blocks out the snow wonderfully while allowing air to pass through.

Eggs2chicks and Sequel like this.
  7. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Crossing the Road

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    I had tarps over sections of my runs until I built a roof over it. Saved me a whole lot of work shoveling out the chickens! I was diligent about removing snow from the tarps though, as the load can and will collapse the structure. If I were you (or her) I'd make sure you do the same :)

Folly's place, Eggs2chicks and Sequel like this.
  8. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Hi, I see you've been a member since 2017. Have your chickens been in that coop since then? No, I don't think your mom is crazy. I think she wants to protect either the hens or her investment, or both. Now, MY mom was a little over the top, she wanted to knit my chickens sweaters when she first moved out to the country next to my first flock!

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not crazy....but leave at least the end open for ventilation. Other concerns posted above are valid.

Thinks that's steep enough to shed snow pretty well....but agrees that more info would be good.

@KittyKat8828 Wonders where you get 16ga 1/4" Hardware Cloth?

10. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Addict

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Yes the angle is good but the pvc structure has no cross supports. I am thinking IF snow starts to build up it won't take much to collapse it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: