Is my new broody mom...Help ASAP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kipepeo, May 13, 2010.

1. kipepeo

kipepeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    of 2 chicks 1 week old nuts? I let her out of her pen into the rest of the area and she is going after everything (chicks in other pen) including her 2 chicks pecking at them and pulling them by there wings and legs. The chicks had been able to get out of the pen away from her and they were so I wonder if she has been doing this with out me knowing.

There are 5- 1 month olds in there and the broody mom that I just moved her chicks over with the others. I just moved out side today and she will be going back to the main flock tonight. I wasn't planning on leaving her in this section with the younger ones but wanted to let her stretch her legs but now I don't know if I should pull her chicks and kick her out if she is picking on them chick don't seem to want be with her like my other broody.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    She just may be a bad mommy...or if there are other young hens around she could be wanting them away from her and the chicks so she's picking on anything and everything. I know mine did that when the other hens come around her...when she was alone with the chicks she was ok. So if I'm understanding correctly you moved the little chicks in with the larger younger hens? If so I would watch them close...are they the same size?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by