Is my new chicken molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nuchickontheblock, May 25, 2010.

1. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I am new to keeping chickens -have just bought 3 beautiful 8 month old Ameraucana pullets about 10 days ago. One started after a couple of days to have really messed up feathers on wings and tail - she seemed to be pecked on and I thought that was why, but she gave us 3 eggs in the first 5 days. The other two aren't laying at all. The past week she stopped laying and there are feathers all over the coop and outdoor pen. After reading some of the posts, seems like she must be molting from the stress of moving. Is that why she stopped laying? How often do chickens molt and how long does the molting process take? Any info would help. Thanks.

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Welcome to chickens - they are addictive! And [​IMG]

Usually, they go through their first big molt around a year old, then molt yearly after that. However, moving may have caused her to molt early. How long it takes depends in large part on your bird. Some are quick to refeather, and others take months. You may be able to speed the process up by supplementing her diet with additional protein.

3. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Sounds like your dealing with a molt and they can molt for 4-6 months, sometimes less and will stop laying during that time and it will take several weeks after molting to start laying again!

4. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Thanks for the info . . .Yikes! this chicken business is a very steep learning curve!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by