Is my parakeet smart? hahah

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Ashleyy_x3, May 12, 2011.

1. Ashleyy_x3

Ashleyy_x3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    i LOVEE my parakeet, Chloe, shes my babyy, ive had her for likee 4 years or so. she has quite the amusing personality [​IMG] anyways, she can talk, like, she says her name over and over, Chloe, and Hello, and says Pretty Bird and does the sexy whistle that sounds like "woot wooooo" or w.e. haha. is it normal for a parakeet to be able to talk? i mean, i know they are in the parrot family, but i always read that they werent really capable of talking. is she special? [​IMG] lol well, she'll always be special to meee. but is she extra special/talented for a parakeet? [​IMG] anyone elses talk?

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I heard a story once about an elderly woman in a nursing home who taught her parakeet a bunch of different phrases by talking to it all day. So I would say thats its not usual to talk. But you must give her a lot of attention to make her taught ! Sounds like she has a great home ! ! ! ! [​IMG]

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Lots of tame parakeets talk. Most people just don't take the time to tame them enough for them to learn how to talk and few parakeets are handfed unlike big parrots making them much harder to tame. Petstore parakeets usually have never been handled by a person except to grab them and put them in another cage.

4. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    I have heard a few really good parakeet talkers over the years. More uncommon is a talking cockatiel. 'Keets have really funny little voices. Some gots talents and some don'ts! You got a smartie-pants.[​IMG]

5. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    since this bird talks ... dollars to donuts it is a male.

6. Okie Amazon

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Every talker I've ever seen was male. Can you post a close-up pic of her/his head?
    Specifically, the waxy-looking area where the nostrils are?

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  7. Ashleyy_x3

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    lol its funny that you mention the sex of the bird. the pet store i got him/her at had it in the cage females, so obviously i was to assume that it was a female, and when it was a baby, the fleshy crest on its beak was a light color, but once he/she started to get older, it turned into a sort of dark purple-blue. so i think you may be right, it very well could be a boy haha [​IMG] but since it knows its name is Chloe and actively says it, there is no changing it now! i just wont tell him he actually might be a boy [​IMG]

8. Okie Amazon

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    Yup. Blue cere= boy.

As babies, you can't tell much at all. My Great Uncle, who raised them for many years, said his way of sexing babies was to stick his hand in the nest box at about two weeks. The ones hanging by their beaks off his hand when he pulled it out were the baby hens! Actually he was pretty accurate!

9. Ashleyy_x3

Mar 2, 2009
    Maine
    hahaha thats pretty funny [​IMG] why would it be only the hens that would be hanging from his finger? [​IMG]

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    You can tell their gender from the time they fully feather. Some can tell the gender before that. Hens can have light blue ceres and some mutations never change from their baby color so it isn't so simple as blue=male. It is entirely possible to tell though and hens rarely have dark blue ceres. Just post a clear pic of the cere preferably without flash. Also both male and female budgies are just as likely to talk but the males are generally slightly better at it. I can name just as many people with talking hens from the budgie forum as talking males.

http://www.parrotfeather.com/budgie/talkingbudgie.php

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by