1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my Plymouth Rock a rooster??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MBurt28, Apr 23, 2016.

1. MBurt28

MBurt28 New Egg

Apr 23, 2016
    Ballina, NSW, Australia
    Hi - I am new to Backyard Chickens (both the forum and the chickens!!) and hope someone out there can help me. I 're-homed' some chickens a few months ago for a friend of mine who believed that the three of them were hens. The Plymouth Rock is now making very rooster-like noises and I have seen her/him get on top of one of my very small Isa-Brown hens. I have quarantined her/him today because the other hens (5 of them) seemed a bit scared. Can anyone tell me from the picture if it is indeed a rooster? I think its about 6 months old.

[​IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Yes, you indeed have a cockerel there. There are many ways to sex Barred Plymouth Rock. At this late age the easiest at a glance is saddle feathers growing out.

3. MBurt28

MBurt28 New Egg

Apr 23, 2016
    Ballina, NSW, Australia
    Thank you for the confirmation - unfortunately he will have to be dispatched - he is upsetting the peace of the hen-house.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    He'll make for a good roasting bird, 325 F. The only unfortunate part of it is plucking those back feathers on cockerels. You really want the water 155 F. Dunk and swish as many times as it takes until they pull with ease. If the water isn't hot enough or you don't dunk enough it is a heck of pluck. I'm almost looking forward to culling cockerels this summer. No adult plumage at 12-14 weeks! Yay. Also tender age to be grill worthy.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Definitely a rooster, BUT not a pure Barred Rock for sure. They do not have all that silver. A cross, maybe black sex link male, but not pure BR. Doesn't matter if he's destined to be stew, though.

6. Akrnaf2

Akrnaf2 The educated Rhino Premium Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Center of Israel
    It isn't a BPR it could be a mix.

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Yes, he's a cockerel. No, he isn't pure Barred Rock.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    definite cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by