Is my Plymouth Rock really a Plymouth Rock? Also male or female? :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickeymama101, Sep 25, 2016.

1. chickeymama101

chickeymama101 New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    Hello all. I am a newbie. I have been visiting this site frequently looking for information to help me be a better "parent" to my little chicks that I picked up from a local pet store. I have never attempted this before but have the time and the will to take care of these two little chicks. I was told by an employee at the store that one was a Rhode Island Red and the other was a Plymouth Rock. Our Rhode Island Red looks similar to the pictures I have seen of this particular breed, however, I am not so sure about our little Plymouth Rock. She is beginning to look like a he (according to some of the other posts and advice I have read.) And she or he does not have the classic markings of the typical pictures that I have seen posted of the Pilgrim Rock Chickens. I am hopeful that some of you may advise me based upon your experience. I will post a couple of pictures. Let me know what you think. Male or female? What breed do you think the black one is? We will love him/her regardless -- This is one very sweet and friendly bird. Thank you all for looking and your input is appreciated!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Well, the brown one is an EE..Easter egger, you will get blue eggs! And the black one looks to be an Australorp. They lay like crazy, and so far, it is looking like a girl. Going by .. not..seeing any saddle feathers by now. Very nice birds. I have some Australorp eggs in my incubator right now. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. dan26552

dan26552 Flock Master

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop

I agree

1 person likes this.
  4. chickeymama101

chickeymama101 New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    Awesome! Thank you both for your input.

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! I agree - EE and Australorp, and so far both appear to be pullets.

1 person likes this.
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, chickeymama, and :welcome. Great to have you aboard! Great looking chickens! :)

1 person likes this.
  7. chickeymama101

chickeymama101 New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    Thank you all for responding!! I am excited about this new endeavor. I wish I had tried this sooner. My husband and I get a kick out of watching them run around and play. By the way, they are both almost 9 weeks.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  8. chickeymama101

chickeymama101 New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    Thank you!!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. You have fine looking pullets, EE & Black Australorp

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by