Is my Polish chick sick or acting normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bizichick, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Bizichick

Bizichick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Washington State
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Bizichick

Bizichick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Washington State
    Not sure what happend, but when I posted the pics, it wiped out what I had written. :( Anyway, I was hoping to get some advice about the 2 polish chicks I bought. They are about 3 wks old. I only wanted one, but bought both because they looked so different that I figured at some point one would turn out to be a rooster and one a hen. Figured I would play it safe. The litler one on the top is the one I had guessed to be the rooster. Mostly because of the lack of tail feathers. My concern is that in the last week it keeps stretching its neck and opening its beak for a few seconds. Last year my mom lost some 1 wk old chicks that were doing that because they were sick. This little guy and all his chick friends seem to be doing good. Just worried about the weird mouth thing. I heard the roosters can start crowing at about 4 wks. Any chance he is just stretching and practicing for crowing? The second pic is the one I am guessing to be the female. I posted both pics and a pic of the back of them for comparison sake. Any input? Just not sure if I should be concerned. These 2 are in with 7 chicks that I recently hatched. I just want to make sure nobody is sick and sharing. BTW the Polish were purchased at Coastal Farm and feed and I am pretty sure they have to follow some pretty strict guideline on where they get their chicks so I would have a hard time believing they started out sick. But who knows. Also this is my first batch of chicks so no chickens around here that could have spread anything.
    Any advice/input would be appreciated! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by