Is my polish chicken molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jrodt, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Jrodt

Jrodt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    My polish hens is 8 months and overnight has changed drastically. It is losing feathers rapidly. Here are photos. Is this molting?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    When my chickens molted, it was gradual. A big change overnite seems like it could possibly be a parasite, like mites, lice, or whatever else might attack chickens. It is also possible that other chickens plucked out her feathers. Check her body if there are any parasites still there. I'm sure they didn't run away if they are the reason. WISHING YOU THE BEST.

3. Jrodt

Jun 18, 2014
    When my chickens molted,  it was gradual.     A big change overnite seems like it could  possibly be a parasite,  like mites,  lice, or whatever  else might attack  chickens.  It is also possible that other chickens plucked out her feathers.  Check her body if there are any  parasites still there.   I'm sure they didn't run away if they are the reason.   WISHING YOU THE BEST. 

[/quote

When polish chickens molt do they lose their head feathers? The feathers on the underside of the body are also missing.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Looks like feather picking. With molting, you see pin feathers, like this:
    [​IMG]

5. Jrodt

Jun 18, 2014
    Oh okay. Thank you. Do parasites take out the entire feather or just the ends like molting.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Parasites won't remove any feather. The bird and/or the other birds will pick at them to get at the bugs and cause them to come out.

Look for lice around the vent. Feather picking is caused by boredom or overcrowding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by