Is my poor roo going to go crazy?

m_shuman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Springfield, GA
I have a flock of 2 roos and 7 hens. I bought what were supposed to be sexed pullets but got stuck with 2 roos somehow. Well needless to say the 2 boys fight so Stew lives in the run and house with the girls and Brewster Roo gets to be our "yard rooster" all by himself. I lock him up in an old dog cage at night and he roosts on an old lawn chair. I opted to keep him in the yard because he got aggressive toward me when I would come in the run. Stew on the other hand has not shown any aggression toward me. When loose in the yard Brewster Roo has never gotten aggressive with me and I think his aggression was because he was protecting the girls. Well today I took Brewster Roo a treat and he did the cluck cluck cluck as if he were calling the girls. Then when they didn't come he took the bread crust over to the run to try to feed it to them. I think he is lonely. I am considering adding 3 more chickens to my flock and I am considering letting them freerange all day with Brewster Roo. My question is if I do this will his aggressive behavior return? Has anyone else kept a rooster seperated from the flock and what were your experiences with it?

I would turn a few hens loose out with him or keep the aggressive rooster in the cage with the hens and let the gentle rooster free range in the yard with a hen.

You need to show the aggressive roo who is really at the top of the pecking order (you). Use the search function on the forums about the different methods on how to do this.
I personally do tolerate an aggressive roo in my flock. If the aggressive rooster can't seem to learn who is king of the hill (me) after a couple of times, the rooster gets to live inside my Ronco Rotisserie condo.
smile.png

I can't say whether your lone roo will become aggressive or not. It's a new ball game when they have some girls to protect. If that's the case they need to learn again who is top o the order
smile.png

Quote:
He knows who is in charge after the one attack in the pen with the hens I held him down until he submitted. When he is free in the yard and has never shown any aggression toward me. I don't keep him with the others because he fights with the other roo nonstop and 2 roos are to many for only 7 hens. Goodness knows I would never let an aggressive roo have control of my yard. I am just wondering if I let him have a small flock of his own to free range in my yard with him will his aggressive behavior come back?

They are all different, so you will have to try it and see what happens. I know that a really bad rooster has a short memory. I had a huge barred rock that had to whip several times a day. I could deal with him but my wife was terrified of him. So he had to go. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom