Is my portable mini coop safe enough?

Robin'sBrood

Crowing
12 Years
May 8, 2008
North Carolina
We live in a subdivision, not really close to any woods, and my back yard is 2/3 fenced by my neighbors' chain linked fences. We've lived here 16 years and in that time I've seen 1 possum on the street in front of our house. We have 1 squirrel that has started to visit our bird feeders from time to time. We've had baby rabbits in a nest under our shed, once that I know of. Once in a while I'll see a dog roaming around, usually at night, and my neighbor's cat is out and is frequently in our yard. Other than that, I can think of nothing else, predator wise, that is around here.

It is made of 1x2" welded wire all the way around. I don't have any kind of doors on the house yet, but I keep the house pushed far enough inside the run that I think they're safe while inside for the night. Still, I worry about them almost every night.

Thoughts?

2532731732_d7d71148da.jpg

2531917163_a2da99e70e.jpg

2532731954_5e23817361.jpg

2532732064_4922f12c56.jpg

It doesn't sound as though you have too many large predators... the mice/rats could get into the food. And as mentioned, snakes may come in after eggs. I'm not sure if the chickens are too large or not.
I would be afraid if you did get a raccoon, or rambunctious dog that it could turn the cage over while trying to get in. The girls could get hurt this way, and scare them half to death!
hmm.png

You might think about getting a more secure coop/run built. This way in case of bad weather the chickens will be a bit more protected, also.

But they look quite happy now!
smile.png

Carla

I would worry about diggers. I would run chicken wire inside and out about 2' and stake it down or use heavy boulders to keep it in place.

i agree with Cetawin. You want to secure the borders. You may not see predators, but that doesn't mean they aren't around and just haven't gotten wind of your chickens yet. Even densely populated cities have raccoons and sometimes coyotes. A raccoon could get inside there in minutes.

If you worry about them every night there must be a reason. Trust your instincts and lock those kids up tight at night. Very cute little chicks, by the way.

Since it's wire all the way around, even the top and bottom, I think your biggest problem would be a wandering dog. I wonder how strong the corners and door to the cage is, if a big dog could get it apart. And, like Carla said, a dog could roll the cage over and over and your pets could still get hurt or crushed by the house they sleep in. Maybe if you could put it in a shed or garage at night and when you're not home.

Nice setup, though.

Thank you for all the comments. Here is the design we used http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/2007-04-01/Portable-Chicken-Mini-coop-Plan.aspx
I
have thought about a dog rolling the whole thing over, but it is pretty heavy. It takes two people to pick it up to move, but one person can drag. I suppose a big excited dog could roll it though. Maybe if we stake it to the ground somehow?
hmm.png

Oh, I have an idea! We have a large shed. Maybe I can convince DH to let me have a corner of it for them at night. We could put a pet door that closes in the side and make a place for them to roost. Then, when they came outside for the day, I could still close them in the tractor and move them around the yard. What do ya think?

That sounds like a good idea. Tell hubby it's for your piece of mind and then get his buns in gear and clear out a corner of the shed for you!

It looks safer than mine. I live in the country with preditors all over. So far none have bothered us, but time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom