Is my Potbelly sick or just not feeling the weather?

LexsPeeps

Songster
Apr 2, 2017
Kentucky
This morning I went out to feed and when I tell my 3 "little" piggies (potbellies) Goodmorning they usually run out to greet me. This morning 2/3 did, my Porkchop stayed in his hut and the other 2 came out like normal rushing to the feed bowls. It is raining but not cold. I thought maybe he didn't want to come out in the rain so I took his bowl to him. He greeted me with some oinks, sniffed at the bowl and continued to paw at the hay like he was making a bed, uninterested in the food. Last night when I fed he was acting normal. The only thing I noticed about his apprearance was that his eyes were very runny/watery, I didn't notice a color in it, looked clear but under his eyes were wet all down his cheeks as if he'd been crying all night. Could there be something wrong with him?

Sounds like maybe some sort of sinus infection. My pig also named Porkchop had the same symptoms except the second day he didn't even want to get up to eat. We gave him an anti-biotic that covered A wide range of things. Unfortunately I cannot remember the name of it but I can ask my husband when I get home from work. Pigs are pretty hearty creatures but a sick pig looks SICK. That would just be my opinion on what it is but I'm no expert on potbelly's

I'm glad your pig got to feeling better! I can tell now that he feels bad, not overly to the point he didn't get up to greet me when I checked on him but he wasn't nearly as enthusiastic about it as usual, had head was down and his eyes looked like he just didn't feel like himself. I know that might sound odd but they weren't as bright and cheerful as they usually are.
If he remembers please let me know I have some Tylan 50 on hand but I have to go get needles and syringe. I'm not sure if its for infections but I will do some research and see what I find

It doesn't sound odd. I get cheerful greetings from the two of mine every day.I believe Tylan 50 is for infections but don't know too much about it. I will definitely ask him when he gets home. I just remember it was very tough to get through the thick skin. But I guess being such hearty creatures he took it like a champ and noticed a difference the very next day.

I've used it to treat infections in my chickens but I wasn't sure how effective it would be for a pig's infection. I know its made for pigs and cattle but didn't know if it would cure what he has

I was never 100% sure what my Porkchop had I just know he had the same symptoms and what we gave them works like a charm. My guess was it was a sinus infection but like I said not a 100 percent sure we got the anabiotic from a buddy who raises pigs and he said not to sweat it too much because pigs are very hearty creatures. But they had the saddest little eyes when they're sick. You can't help but to feel terrible for them

Oh I agree, you just wanna cover them with a blanket, cuddle them up and make it all better. They are so full of intelligence and emotion its so hard not to feel bad for them. My piggies are my babies, I hate seeing him so down

Back
Top Bottom