Is my poult in shock? What do I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sdaenitz, Jul 26, 2011.

1. sdaenitz

sdaenitz New Egg

Jul 26, 2011
    Last night I came home and one of the 6 week old Bourbon Red poults was missing. I looked all around the yard and couldn't find it. We use an electrified net to protect the yard, but I think the turkey got freaked out and chased out of the net (it still can get out of the net with effort). In the morning when I went out to look for it again it was laying out in the open on its side in the barnyard. It's still alive, but it cannot stand up and it's head keep flopping onto it's back and it's toes are curled up into a ball. There are no visible injuries or abrasions. I gave it a little warm water and put it in a box with a heating pad underneath. Anyone heard of this behavior following an attack?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. monkeemakr

monkeemakr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    Could it be that it got shocked itself by the net instead of an attach? If it got stuck in the net, I could imagine something like this happening.

3. sdaenitz

sdaenitz New Egg

Jul 26, 2011
    That is possible, but I don't know how to improve his current state. Just rest and warmth for now? Maybe some rescue remedy? Has anyone experienced this behavior after a traumatic event?

4. monkeemakr

monkeemakr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Swansea, SC
    I would get something with vitamins and electroloytes, we use Chick-Saver on our poults when something happens, and keep him warm and dry and I would try to get him sitting upright as much as possible, even if you have to kind of put something light and soft on either side of him. Some soft foam like in an old pillow or something would do. Good luck, hope the little guy makes it!

5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Do turkeys get crooked neck? Do a search and read up about that. See what you think.also known as wry neck.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by