1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is my 'Pullet' a 'Rooster?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jodiplunk, Nov 3, 2013.

1. jodiplunk

jodiplunk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2013
    Well I've posted before about help with regards to why my 32 week old (more like 35 weeks old now) Amber Star pullet might not be laying yet.... We've been trying a light in the coop on a timer for a couple of weeks as ALL the pullets are slow to start and quite late now, including our production red. However, yesterday I could have sworn I heard 2 smallish 'crows'. So, is there any chance that my Amber star pictured below could be a rooster and not a pullet? That cone is getting bigger and no eggs..... My reasoning for thinking that it isn't, is I would have expected 'her' to start crowing WEEKS ago if this was the case.... and she's not the only one who hasn't started to lay. NONE of them have, despite the light so I'm thinking that's not a good enough reason..... anyone able to confirm this for me?!
    [​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

When you get an egg from this one it will be the proverbial golden egg. That boy is ALL rooster!

3. jodiplunk

Oct 19, 2013
    Thanks, Enola.... wouldn't it have started 'crowing' earlier than now though? If I did hear right yesterday mid afternoon it was only 2 soft ones, in the middle of the day and it's 35 ish weeks old now!

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Absolutely, positively, male. See the long, skinny feathers hanging down over his back just in front of his tail? Those are saddle feathers, and only roosters get them--compare to your hens. Also, the feathers on his neck, the "hackles" are long and skinny, too. Compare those to the feathers on your hens, also. Finally, look at the coloration on the body. That "patchy" color, especially with the dark patches on the shoulders, is a male coloration. Hens will be a more uniform pattern all over the body.

The only thing this boy is missing is his rooster tail, and I can see that it's growing in now. It's not too weird that he hasn't crowed yet--he's a late bloomer.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree. My roosters often don't start crowing until they are several months old.

6. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Definitely a cockerel! He's a handsome fella. He seems to be a late bloomer and seeing how he looks well developed and you are unsure of his sex has me guessing he's a good boy.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Late maturing rooster.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Rooster, all the way.

9. jodiplunk

Oct 19, 2013
    Thanks @Wyandottes7 , @WalkingOnSunshine , @donrae , @enola , and @BantamLover21 the more I look at 'him' now the more obvious it is to me! I think I was just hoping that I was wrong.... I appreciate all the pointers. My daughter who named him 'Cinderella' is having a hard time accepting that he's actually Prince Charming now, but she is only 3yrs old!

I called the hatchery and they're going to let us swap him out for a Pullet as our city rules here don't allow Roosters and I would prefer an egg layer! It's got me worried about the rest of our small flock now though. I'm pretty sure a couple of them are ok but can I ask you to cast your expert eyes over the remaining 4?! The Production Red and Silke are both about 25 weeks old and the Black Sex Link and Ameraucana are about 30 weeks old. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jodiplunk

Oct 19, 2013
    Yes, @Studio2770 he's a 'good boy' so far!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by