is my pullet a sport or splash wheaten?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Frost Homestead, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    This is one of my pullets from a batch of Ameraucanas someone hatched for me. When this one was feathering in as a chick she was lighter than all the others and someone suggested she might be a sport. I have never actually seen a splash wheaten hen, but I did get one SW roo with these chicks. Is she just too white or is she splash wheaten?

You can't see it in these pics but she has very light buff smudges here and there throughout the white. my chickens are just pets/for eggs so I don't really care either way, just curious

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

if she's a sport can someone post a pic of what a SW hen looks like? thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Not a typo. A "sport" is basically a bird that pops up of an unexpected color...but a lot of times it gets used to mean a splash bird out of any of the blue varieties.

4. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, okay. Thank you for clearing that up for me!

5. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Your pullet is a Silver-Blonde (gone off to look for blonde smiley.............

6. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    hmm never heard of that before. so instead of dominant white she's silver? a silver gene?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    You may want to ask this question over in Breeds, Genetics, & Showing you would get a better turn out.

To me the White hen with Red Hackles looks to have Dominate White in her. Here color is similar to what you would get if you crossed Wheaten to Dominate White, it makes a mock/fake Red Pyle color.

Chris

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by