Is my pullet laying too soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by purplepoen, Sep 1, 2008.

1. purplepoen

purplepoen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Michigan
    I got the first egg from my coop of pullets today. They are a week shy of 4 months and there are Rhode Island Reds and Black Australorps. I've always heard they'd lay at about 5-6 months old. Do I need to do anything special for them since they're laying early? Are the RIR's or BA's more likely to be the one who layed the egg? Also, what age did your chickens start to lay? My Barred Rocks layed at almost exactly 6 months.

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    That is young...watch for prolapse in her. It happens sometimes if a hen lays too soon. YOu should be giving her oyster shell and layer pellets now that she is laying. AND LOTS of fresh clean water.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  3. purplepoen

Jul 12, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok, my chickens always have water and food, but I'll have to start adding in oyster shell. I hope my girl will be ok!

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I think tht's vey early because I red in an Article that it isnot so good when pullets starts to lay very early,by the way you can find that article under chicken behaviors and I listed it as please read important article about layers.
    best luck my rir almost 6 month old and they still did not lay a single egg,but that's ok .

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:What Hangin Wit My Peeps meant was that when they first start to lay you need to switch from grower to layer feed.

6. purplepoen

Jul 12, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok, I'll switch their feed too. It wont hurt the other pullets having layer food sooner will it?

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:The general rule of thumb is layer feed at 4 months (20 weeks) anyhow, so switching them now won't cause harm. Offer the crushed oyster shell free-choice and they'll take it if they need it.
    I have brahma pullets that have started laying early (for brahmas) and I'm not worrying about prolapse simply because of an article. Chickens are individuals, just like the rest of us. So yes, be diligent in your care of your chickens and watch for signs of prolapse, but don't lose sleep over it. The most likely thing is that's when nature intended for that chicken to start laying and she'll be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by