is my puppy abnormally smart or what? :D

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by tinychicky, Nov 15, 2011.

1. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    at sixteen weeks my black lab pup knows sit, down, stay, come, wait, he sort of knows leave it, beg, paw (with both paws), high five (both paws), we're working on give it, and i'm teaching him to catch food if i throw it which is more of a coordination thing i guess, but still. i started teaching him when i got him at 12 weeks old. anyway, is that normal for him to learn so quickly or do i have an exceptional dog [​IMG] this is my first dog so i'm not sure [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    1. You picked an AWESOME first breed! Kudos to you!!

2. Labs are brilliant, just brilliant. Some, more brilliant than others. Others, well...sit licking the cabinet doors after you've polished them.

Keep up the training! It will be invaluable to you some day!

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

No...and yes...you have a typical Lab! They are brilliantly smart dogs who are easy to train. Here's a little cautionary tip, though. I trained my last Lab pup for the whole "high five" trick and found out much later that this isn't necessarily a good one to teach. When they get excited about performing their trick, they will high five a little inaccurately and get you with those nails....ouch!

Every Lab I've had trained that easily and continued to be easy to train throughout their adult lives, which puts to rest the old adage about teaching an old dog new tricks. As a matter of fact, I plan to take time to train my 5 year old Lab/BC mix dog some herding techniques this winter. Partly because I'll finally have time and partly because he no longer has any livestock to guard and needs some work to do.

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    My dog jumps in the air when ever I throw food. He's a lab mix. Luv those tricks and he is really smart.

5. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I had an awesome black lab that never had to be on a leash his entire life! If you showed him a trick (only once), he remembered it. That dog went everywhere with me. Sadly, he had to be put down at 16 months of age for severe anemia and chronic kidney disease. I even took him to the Animal Medical Center in Manhattan to see if they could save him, but they couldn't and recommended he be put down. I still miss him!!

6. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    cool, thanks everyone. a lab was actually not my first choice (i was leaning toward a german shepard) but i'm glad i went with one! while i have this thread, if anyone wants to suggest a name, we could use one. with five people in my family, we can't seem to agree on one! i'll post a picture later, but my brother needs the computer for homework now. why he can't use one of the other four computers is beyond me [​IMG]

dobieslady, i'm so sorry you had to put your dog down so young :'( hugs [​IMG]:

7. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I've always been partial to the name of "Thor" for black animals.

My lab's name was Thunder. I miss that dog..

8. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    when he gets a few months older, he'll "forget" everything he knows.
    Then, one day, you will wake up and he's back to his usual obedient self.

rodriguezpoultry, I had one of those labs. he was obedient, but dumb as a box of rocks. Honestly, he pretty much turned me off of the breed all together. I like their obedience, but found most of them very lacking in problem solving ability. I like a smart dog that makes you earn his obedience.

9. urban escapee

urban escapee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Alvin, TX
    I have a chiapit (chiahuahua/pit) that is the same way, got him at about 7weeks and within 2 weeks he was sitting, shaking and talking on command. I swear that dog thinks he is human. [​IMG]

watch him here

10. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:Lol! I had Thunder first, got me hooked. Then I got Marley. Oh Marley...haha. Acts like he's stupid, but the wheels are constantly turning in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by