1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my quail okay??!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheNeonPanther, Nov 3, 2015.

1. TheNeonPanther

TheNeonPanther Chillin' With My Peeps

Yesterday my incubator broke so I had to take away my button quail's heat lamp so I could keep the eggs warm, I replaced it with a heating pad and made a small nest for him, I also gave him more food and water and went off to bed. Today I went in there to check how warm it was and when I did he did not run away like he usually did and let me pick him up, did not even leap out of my hands. When I picked him up I took a close look, I could not see anything at all, no wounds, nothing. Did I stress him out too much and is he going to be okay?? He is about 10 months old.
    Maybe he is a female and went broody??? He has all the charaistics of a male tuxedo though. Brick red feathers near the vent, the male crowing, ect. I am confused and worried. I am hoping I mistook him for a female and the nest possibly made it broody. I am worried to death..should I put him in the hospital house until he/she acts normally? Should I find one of the infertile incubator eggs and put it in front of he/she??
    Also with the incubator, when I went over there it was putting off a really strange smell and sparking. I had to unplug it, I am hoping the smell or small amount of fumes did not hurt him...

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Sorry it took so long to respond.

How is he doing now?

3. TheNeonPanther

TheNeonPanther Chillin' With My Peeps

Luckily fine!
    The reason I posted here in the emergency thread is because my other quail was acting kinda the same way, I still have a eye on him though.

4. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    I'm glad they seem to be doing better. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by