Is my quarantine blown?

Chicken Heir

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 1, 2009
Colchester, CT
Well, I've had a single chicken for a little over a month now. About a week and a half ago I picked up another 6 hens to keep her company. I quarantined the new flock about 200 feet from the main coop. Today, while free ranging, the original hen found the pen the new birds are in! She always stays up near the coop. Today is the first day she ventured away.

She got close to the pen and a few inches away from a few of the other birds, but were separated by the fencing. (The meeting was pretty uneventful--I figured one of them would fuss. They checked each other out, then went right back to scratching and eating).

So, is my quarantine effort blown? Should I go ahead and just combine them or keep the new flock quarantined? They shared the same air, though they didn't have contact with each other's poops, which I understand can pass on some things like worms.

All appear healthy to my newbie eye--I look at their eyes, nostrils, legs and feet daily when I feed and water, and look closely at their poops for normal colors and consistency, see if any visible worms, etc. Last sunday I grabbed a few of the new birds to look for lice and other parasites, and didn't notice anything. I was planning to worm both the flock and single bird next sunday, then combine them the following sunday, which would make 4 weeks.

The single hen came from a farm next door to me, after the farmer, my neighbor, died. I got the other six, all 10 months old, from a member on this site. They were her pets and well cared for, the coop was massive and clean. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Thanks Speckled....Well, I took your advice and tried to catch her, but I was unsuccessful. She kept running into some dense brush and hunkering. I didn't get too aggressive with her since she just started to trust me. When I first got her, she's run screaming if I walked towards her. Now she'll come right up to me when I'm feeding or watering or closing the coop door.

I left her alone and she came back out and just kept free ranging. At dusk, she roosted in the dense brush next to the temporary coop and pen!!!! I know she was lonely and liked being around the new birds, but I thought she'd go back to the main coop to roost, as she's done since I got her! Ugh! I thought she'd go back and I could just keep her run closed until the quarantine was up.

I'll probably grab her tonight while she's sleeping, and redo the trust thing all over again. Yeesh. The joys of chickenhood.

I can't believe I'm disagreeing with Speckled Hen! I'll never be a golden feather now! But if I had just one hen, I would check over the newbies for a few days (as you have), then put one of the calmer newbies in with your existing hen. That way, she has a buddy right now (if they get along!), and if YOUR hen has any diseases to pass on you will know right away. Then when you do the full integration later, she will have some support. It's really your call, but you are trying to protect all the chickens, and it's not like you have some big existing flock.

Anyone if free to disagree with me. I only tell what I would do, but what anyone else does, or if they take my advice, is up to them. I always err on the side of caution and so far, it's served me well, though of course, unforeseen things could happen, even with the best biosecurity measures.

BTW, I don't see anywhere in the forum rules that you can't disagree with speckledhen.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom