Is my red jungle fowl something else maybe ?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Guinea Goonie, Feb 9, 2009.

1. I was looking on feathersite and ran across a roo that looks more like my bird than any thing else I have found.

Here are some pics of my roo and the one from feathersite.

First my roo.

[​IMG]

Now the pic of the site.

[​IMG]

I was pretty amazed. They say these birds are pretty rare.
    they are called.

Gangwon-Jaeraedak for what that is worth.

2. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    Not a very good pick of your roo. Get a matching photo of the one on feathersite to compare. [​IMG]

Chef

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Another thing is that there are different types of jungle fowl. Some subspecies have white in the earlobes and there are some other differences. Can you get a better pic of the roo?

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Forgot to ask where did you get him? I am pretty sure that Ideal's jungle fowl are just BBR colored birds that look like RJF.

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
  6. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    The other thing is that I have seen many OEG birds that look extremely similar to that. You really would need to get the actual standards for each bird and compare to that rather than just 2 pictures, where something can easily be over looked, like leg coloring , pad coloring, appropriate amount of spurs etc.

7. Quote:Well...... He was hatched from 6 eggs that were left by a wild game hen in my barn. We tried to relocate her to a safer place, we had possums, and she flew off in the middle of the night and never came back.

We incubated the eggs and viola here he is.

I do have a better pic of him now. hang on:

[​IMG]

and:

[​IMG]

This roo is exceptionally tame and can really fly. I have seen him go 100 yards at 30 feet in the air with no problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2009
  8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Well...... He was hatched from 6 eggs that were left by a wild game hen in my barn. We tried to relocate her to a safer place, we had possums, and she flew off in the middle of the night and never came back.

We incubated the eggs and viola here he is.

I do have a better pic of him now. hang on:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/15239_wildroo.jpg

and:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/15239_rooporch.jpg

This roo is exceptionally tame and can really fly. I have seen him go 100 yards at 30 feet in the air with no problem.

probably not a junglefowl then.. but some other type of game.. Most likely American game since he has green legs.

9. Well, I found some pics of the birds when they were chicks.
    Take a look at this !!

[​IMG]

They look exactly like the chicks from feathersite.com for the breed I am talking about, the Gangwon-Jaeraedak

10. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    From the pics and your description it looks like you have an american game. BTW your chick pics look very much like my pumpkins when they hatched.

Is the striped chick in the pick your roo? Both of my striped chicks were male, the three golden and one yellow chick were pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by