Is my RIR a Roo?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by M0thrOfChickens, Aug 28, 2016.

1. M0thrOfChickens

M0thrOfChickens New Egg

Jul 24, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Hi everyone! Im new to chicken raising. I have 2 ameraucanas, 2 rhode island reds, and 2 black copper marrans, all almost 6 months and three are laying! However, my reds (who are my babies, so sweet) are not laying yet and are huge. Ruby also has a longer shiny black tail feather and darker hues.Both Ruby and Penny tend to raise their neck feathers to challenge eachother at times, but never fight. Ive included pictures of Penny and Ruby. Both had longer tail feathers when they were little, but they fell out. Could I have two roosters?! Any advice would be helpful!
    [​IMG] Ruby [​IMG] Ruby
    [​IMG] Penny

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd suggest you rename him Rupert [​IMG]

3. M0thrOfChickens

M0thrOfChickens New Egg

Jul 24, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Oh no! My girl!! Well we thought my black copper maran was a boy and he started laying first, but we still call "him" Rocky haha. What about Penny? Do you think she is too? Thanks for your help!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Just my opinion, but i'd say she's a girl

5. lydiagirl99

lydiagirl99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    Ruby is definitely a Rupert. You can see his Rooster tail coming in as well as the pointed and shiny feathers on his neck.
    Penny does look like a Hen, though :) See how all of her feathers are more rounded and does not have a Rooster tail. Her tail comes to a little round end.
    Are you still wanting to keep Rubert ? He seems happy with his hens.

6. M0thrOfChickens

M0thrOfChickens New Egg

Jul 24, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    I do't think we're aloud to have roosters where I live. My family has a farm with about 70 free range chickens (that's where we got them from when they were chicks) so he will have a happy home if we can't keep him :( I hope they both aren't roosters, but I think in person, they have too much in common not to be. Thank you for the advice! I'll keep ya posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by