Is my RIR a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FarmerVal, Jun 18, 2010.

1. FarmerVal

FarmerVal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    I really thought this little guy was a rooster, but now I'm thinking maybe hen? Here it is at about 12 weeks old...

[​IMG]

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Yes he is a roo, but don't give up on him some people have had 'Roosters' lay eggs, wait until he crows which can be awhile from now, I had one crow at 24 weeks.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Would like a better picture to tell for sure but as of now-.
    It looks to have "pointy" hackles and some dark feathering in the bow of the wing so as of now I would say Rooster....

Chris

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  4. FarmerVal

Apr 20, 2010
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    I still plan on keeping him even if he is a rooster [​IMG] He is really, REALLY a sweet chicken. Comes right up to you as soon as you come in the run and lets you pet him.

Here is a body shot that I just took of him:

[​IMG]

5. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    my RIR roos are the same age..their combs and wattles are much bigger but the rest of their bodies look like yours...so i'm going to say roo...i wish mine would have more green feathers like yours but their working on it!! if that's an EE in the background i think my 3wk old EE is going to like that! very pretty birds!

6. FarmerVal

Apr 20, 2010
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    Quote:Yes that's an EE in the back! I love how beautiful they are turning out to be [​IMG] I'm pretty sure both of my EE are hens.

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yes indeed, it's a rooster.

8. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    not sure what mine is yet...nothing happening on the comb or wattles...then again only 3wks old, but getting lots of gold on its chest...going thru the dino stage:sick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by