Is my RIR a rooster??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jadeflower999, Jun 19, 2009.

1. jadeflower999

jadeflower999 Songster

May 20, 2008
    Vancouver, Washington
    Hello! We have a 3 week old RIR we are hoping is a hen but we're not sure, it has bolder behavior than our Wyandotte the same age and is bigger, is a crest this size normal in a hen?

[​IMG]

2. LilbitChicken

LilbitChicken Songster

May 5, 2009
    HUM<< at that age, to me is almost impossible to know FOR SURE.[​IMG]
    HOWEVER, the crest and personality gave it away on one of my chicks....AND NOW, YES he is a cockerel... bummer. [​IMG]

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    First off, it's not a crest, it's a comb. And right now it's too early to tell. Second, behavior such as that does not have any indication of sex. Hens can be just as bold as roosters, depending on their stature in the pecking order. Wait and see, that's all you can do.

4. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    i believe reds are more agressive or rather strive to be dominant when given the chance, than other breeds at times. I think in this case, give it a few weeks. my red roos' comes turned red faster than all of the pullets, so you should know soon enough. also keep an eye on the tailfeathers, mine started getting to shiny greenish black ones pretty early too

5. ams3651

ams3651 Songster

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    mine was more interested in what was going on around him even as a chick when I just suspected. My EE's are far more dominate as adults. I am keeping a close watch on a beautiful red, white and grey rir x ee and yesterday I spied irridescent green tail feathers, Im still crossing my fingers that its not a he. The other 3 yunguns are just plain red. If its a he I dont think he will stay, I already have 1 rooster who needs more hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: