Is my RIR pullet show quality? *LOTS OF PICS!*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by aoxa, Nov 29, 2011.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I was told she was SQ, but I am a newb. Hoping he didn't just tell me that to get a quick sale.

She WAS the nicest looking pullet he had. He does show this breed. He told me she could be entered in a show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know.. Lots of pictures [​IMG]

Wondering if it would be worth it to get a cock from him and another pullet if he is telling me the truth. Hoping so! Good RIR are hard to come by in my area [​IMG]

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    I don't know...I'm not expert, But i think RIR show hens are supposed to be really dark- just like yours! Don't take it for granted though!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Me too.. she is very very dark...

4. aoxa

Quote:Me too.. she is very very dark...

That being a good thing, right? [​IMG] I love her colour.. Just hoping she has the right type. [​IMG] I would love to breed something worth showing.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    She is miles above hatchery quality for sure. Her deep chocolate-red is so pretty on her. I would review the breed standard of her.

6. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Yeah, here's a picture of a hatchery RIR off MPC.

[​IMG]

7. aoxa

Quote:That's wonderful! [​IMG] I got her for $10.00 too. Glad I did. I have been fooled once into getting a production red (being told it was a RIR) I was skeptical, but bought her anyway. I knew Ruby was definitely a RIR, but wanted to hear that she is good to type.

True RIRs are hard to come by around here, and I would love to help out by getting a cock and another pullet (one of her sisters) to breed in the spring.

8. aoxa

Quote:Yeah, I have a hatchery RIR too [​IMG] I just call her my production red. She is a wonderful layer and is extremely friendly, so she has a forever home by my books!

9. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i show RIRs and i say ur looks show quality from the pics. shes the color u want in a show RIR and she has great color to her legs and face. She looks to be in great shape. I would show her if i was u.

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    From what I understand it doesn't cost that much to show a chicken. Just a couple dollars per bird. So if you can deal with the let down if she doesn't win, I say go for it. You'll learn somethings about showing and get your feet wet. And you might be pleasantly surprised. [​IMG]

I wish you well and you must keep us posted on your progress in showing.

Rancher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by