Is my RIR rooster Mixed. VERY dark red.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cluckcluckluke, Dec 12, 2012.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Is my 11 month old RIR Rooster mixed with some thing, when we first got home my family and i thought he may have a bit of frizzle in him because of his feathering. He is also VERY dark, much darker than most other RIR's Ive seen.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    A picture would help![​IMG]

3. cluckcluckluke

Oh [​IMG] how awkward I'll get one up.

4. cluckcluckluke

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They promised his tail feathers would come in soon, which they are.

5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    By far no expert but he looks very RIR to me.

I think we need Robert Bosl ( I think I spelled his name right) on here.

6. cluckcluckluke

Can you either invite him here or give me his profile so i can PM him.

7. arcy liger

arcy liger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    i think a bit frizzle because his feathers are bit turned..

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    What are you feeding, does it have animal proteins and what is the protein amount?
    When was the last time he was dusted for lice/mites and wormed? What did you use?
    He looks to be lacking something in he diet. His feathering looks out of condition and he looks under weight.

Chris

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  9. cluckcluckluke

I have only just bought him and the people i got him of had another dominant rooster that wouldn't let this one eat so they have had to feed him separately but that doesn't help nearly as much as him getting his own food, that's why he is slightly under weight. I'm feeding him layer pellets at the moment is this alright or is it only for hes, i give the flock including him layer pellets dry and layer pellets soaked in water over night. Also he gets food scraps from the kitchen and our neighbors kitchens and they all free range for about 8hrs a day and it's summer where i am right now so plenty of insects and grass about. He was last wormed about 1 month ago but only one hen had the worms but i just gave the whole flock it.

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I agree. It was probably something that was lacking in his diet. What you are seeing are the feathers "breaking" and "fraying." It could also be that this bird simply has poor feather quality.

I'm sure a change in his diet will help. Who knows? Maybe he was relentlessly preened or something. He has good coloring for a Rhode Island Red. MUCH better than any hatchery bird!

Kudos on the awesome find!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by