Is my roo a BR or a Maran?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cook_kaka_ook, Jan 2, 2010.

1. cook_kaka_ook

cook_kaka_ook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not a Barred Rock. Looks more like a Black Sexlink, but with white legs, could be he was made by using a Cuckoo Marans hen and RIR rooster, rather than a BR hen. His barring is very much like a black sexlink rather than Cuckoo Marans to me, but could be wrong.

3. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Without Yellow legs, he isn't a pure BR. Could be Birchen Marans. I have them. Their rare around here. Maybe a mix of something. Nice bird!

Yjis is my Birchen Marans Roo

[​IMG]

4. cook_kaka_ook

cook_kaka_ook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2009
    If I pair this roo with a buff EE will my hen still produce a green egg? What will be their offspring look like?

5. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Looks like a sexlink or some sort of cross to me [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Your hen will continue to lay whatever color of egg she currently lays. The Rooster doesn't make the hen change egg color.

7. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Quote:Your hen will continue to lay whatever color of egg she currently lays. The Rooster doesn't make the hen change egg color.

i've also been told that the blue egg gene is dominant so if she lays green, her female offspring should lay some shade of green, so with the brown of the roo, her daughters may lay a pretty olive or light olive egg... good luck...

and i didn't think about the mixing a barred marans with a RIR to get sexlinks.. i have 1 RIR and a couple barred marans.... hhhmmmm
    thanxs for that info....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by