Is my roost bar wide enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Firetiger, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Firetiger

Firetiger Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2008
    Redmond, WA
    First coop for our first flock of hens. My roost bar is a 1 5/8" closet pole. Is that wide enough for Orpingtons?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If you live in cold climes, it's not big enough for winter.

3. Firetiger

Firetiger Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2008
    Redmond, WA
    Quote:Live in Seattle, so don't live in cold climate, but please explain why a wider bar is needed in a colder climate?

4. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I think the idea is that you want the roost bar wide enough for the chicken to be able to sit on their feet to keep them warm rather then have the toes wrapped around a thinner roost where they are more exposed and susceptible to frostbite....

5. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    A chicken would be more comfortable on a roost that they can sit on comfortably, such as the flat side of a 2x4. With a round roost pole, they have to grip it and balance themselves.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Can you get away with it? Sure, pretty much. Is there a better way of doing it that will be comfier for the chickens, and more frostbite-resistant in a cold snap? Use the wide side of a 2x4 (round the edges if they're abrupt) or a wide branch off an old dead tree.

Have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by