Is my roost too high?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ellie, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Ellie

Ellie Songster

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I worry about the girls jumping off the roost.... One is 37" high and the other 26" high. They sure jump down with a "thud" and I worry about their feet. They are standard size chickens, not bantams.

Thing is, one has succeeded in going up to the rafters so maybe they are ok.... [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Ellie

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

That should be fine. My roosts are all only 2 feet high or so on purpose so the older birds/special needs birds/heavy birds, don't hurt their feet.

3. SeaChick

SeaChick Songster

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Mine is 36" high and they have no trouble with it. All standard size hens.

4. TransplantedTexan

TransplantedTexan Songster

Jul 9, 2007
    Bear Creek, Wi
    Mine are about 8 feet up, and all my birds go up and down fine. Even the Jersey Giant. It does make quite a thump though when the Americaunas and the Jersey hit the ground. The Production Reds and Cali Grays seem fly very well though.

5. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Songster

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Mine is eight feet up and my chickens do fine also.

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Songster

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Mine are around 5' high but I have mine set up like stair steps so they hop down to the next rung and then to the floor.

7. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Songster

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I have a little 'ladder' for mine. They still crash-land on the floor every once in a while, but no injuries so far. Mine is about 4 feet high.

8. Ellie

Ellie Songster

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Great to know. Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about the ladder but I'm not even sure how to make one that wasn't too steep.

Anyway, now I know I am not harming them!

Thanks,
    Ellie

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Keep in mind that high roosts for heavy breeds can cause leg injuries and foot issues, like bumblefoot with poor landing surfaces. Make sure there is plenty of bedding for cushion when they land or I would recommend moving the roosts lower. You are asking for an injury with 8 foot roosts. Once it happens it is too late..better to be preventive.

Jody

10. allen wranch

allen wranch Crowing

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    What Jody said...
    And if you make ladders for them to get to the higher roosts, they will still jump down to get off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: