Is my rooster a rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by alarkie, Oct 11, 2012.

1. alarkie

alarkie New Egg

May 7, 2009
    I don't have a pic but my mom and I have been wondering if we have a funny rooster or a hen. He looks a bit different then the girls, mostly in the chest and tail feather area, and he does sleep up in the tree but the funny thing he does is squat for a petting like the girls usually do. I know the squatting usually means their frisky, and it just made us wonder about him when he started doing it too.

Also, we have two older hens, and nine new ones from this spring, and we got him about two months later, but he's still about the same age as the younger girls. The problem is they really pick on him which is why he sleeps in the tree. They don't really hurt him or attack him but they're always chasing him off and he gets his own food and stuff because of it. He is seriously skittish around the girls.

If he is a rooster will he eventually begin to dominate them or will he keep being a scaredy-cat about it. I guess the main question is whether or not it's normal for roosters to be a bit girly?

Any advice on this would help,
    thanks,
    Abby

2. Roosterlover5

Roosterlover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    If he's a rooster he will probably dominate them when he's older. A pic would really help though if you have time.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How old is he? It does take a while for them to grow into their manliness, and some breeds mature a lot slower than others. A picture would be quite helpful, as well as his age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by