is my rooster a whimp?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 7kids12hens, Sep 16, 2011.

1. 7kids12hens

7kids12hens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    I have a young Barred Rock roo. He's scared of anything, especsially the dominant hens. He's grown up with this flock. He is starting to spar with the other pullets who are not laying, but he runs from the bigger hens. He's not doing anything protective, but for the last couple of days he has been being the last one in the fence. He's also started nesting at night by himself. I don't know if that's any indication of anything. My laying hend sleep up on the roost. He's between 5.5 mo and 6 mo old.[​IMG]:oops:

2. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    He is still very young. And when my BSL roo was that young, he knew very well that the bigger hens would whoop his a$$!!!!!! As maturity hit he started to get bolder and would try to dance around some hens and they would chase him off. He finally got the braves to hop on one of the big girls, and they are now his "regulars". My americauna's fought him off still. But i don't think he is a wimp. Just young yet. Give your boy til he is 7-8 months old to get his hormones going...

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I have a White Rock Roo that is nearly twice the size of the girls he is watching over but they dont leave him alone. Granted he gets to have his way with them if you know what I mean. But the weird thing is he lets them peck his butt non stop and sometimes peck his comb to they draw blood. He dont move and doesnt do anything to stop them,just stands there. I tell to give them a whack but he dont listen. Its mostly the 2 dominant hens(1RIR and 1BR). I guess his name suits him, Rocky(Balboa) all braun not much in the computer room.

4. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    How is your roo doing? Any braver?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by