1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my Rooster a White Rock?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shepherdhillfarm, Aug 7, 2008.

1. shepherdhillfarm

shepherdhillfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2008
    I have come into chickens by chance the past two years. Starting with a flock of game hens migrating to our house from the neighbors who decided we could keep them (after they only owned them for one day.) Then about 7 months ago we had someone drop off four roosters. One was taken care of by the wildlife quickly, one was a barred rock, one a RIR and I believe this is a white rock. Sorry he lost his comb this winter due to freezer bite. I had no idea that could happen but I also know nothing about chickens. However, I am trying to learn fast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Are his feathers Buff colored or pure white? The pic he doesnt look pure white. He is handsome though.

[​IMG]

You will learn alot fast on here....

3. IloveTravis

IloveTravis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    Definately a rock, but I think he's actually buff [​IMG]
    I've been looking at the breed lately, and on a lot of the buffs are very light, and mostly white near their bellies.

4. shepherdhillfarm

Aug 7, 2008
    Thank you for the responses. He is actually very white but enjoys playing in the dirt with his girls :O) They are all the time down in our horse pastures wallowing like crazy and then they just lay there. I actually thought once that the hen was dead but no she was just having fun:O) He does have one feather on his right side that has some reddish brown coloring to it. But only one on his whole body.

steph

5. IloveTravis

IloveTravis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
  6. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I would guess buff rock too. I have girls [​IMG]

7. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    sorry
    ETA: did not read full paragraph

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  8. shepherdhillfarm

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes after seeing the picture I think he is a buff. The one red feather looks like the ones on the side of the picture.

Thanks everyone for the help. So where do the buff's come from? Do they breed their color pure?

thanks again,
    steph

9. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    my white rock kinda turned into that color

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Buff Rock, imo.