Is my rooster being protective of me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BirdaMay, Aug 21, 2016.

1. BirdaMay

BirdaMay Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2016
    Loveland, CO
    I've had a rooster in my bedroom for almost 2 weeks now in quarantine. He's become very good at stepping up to perch on my arm when I'm handling him, and we've bonded over some carbs and other treats.

I notice that when I leave the room, he will crow. Is that him calling to me, because he feels I'm his girl and have been taken away from him?

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    He's just 'lonely'...wants flock mates and you're it for now......
    .....he'll forget all about you once you get him with his hens - haha!

1 person likes this.
  3. FlyWheel

FlyWheel Chillin' With My Peeps

They can be so fickle at times, can't they?

1 person likes this.
  4. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Hes lonely.
    How old is he?
    Why is he in quarantine?

5. BirdaMay

Jun 8, 2016
    Loveland, CO
    He's in quarantine, bc his poo was weird & I found red spider mites on him. I put him on Corid & wormer, and I gave both him & me and the brooder box a DE dust bath. Also, his breastbone was REALLY sharp, so I figured he needed wormed. Now his poos are looking good, & we've bonded. He does see my RIR who walks around his cage. I also take him out. He is also in sight of the brooder box, so he gets to see the chicks all day. As soon as his diaper comes in the mail, he will be allowed to run around the house.

My landlord said no roosters the day after I got him, and I couldn't rehome a sick rooster. I'm actually hoping to be able to hide him until I can get my own place. I did get him a No-Crow collar, so that should help me be able to have him OK until I can move (which will have to be after spinal surgery)!

I can't wait to have my own place and let him have some girls of his own with no restrictions like what we're living under now.

6. BirdaMay

Jun 8, 2016
    Loveland, CO
    They said he was 6 months old when I got him 2 weeks ago. I answered the quarantine question below- forgot to add the age thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by