Is my rooster broken?

thechickenchick

Born city, Living country
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Eaton, Colorado
I have a barred rock rooster. He is 11 weeks old and isn't crowing. I have 2 hens of the same breed and see a signifiant difference. So I am positive he is a rooster(I also ordered him sexed) I have read on here of roosters crowing in the brooder at 5 weeks!
roll.png
What gives, is mine broken?!
lol.png
Do different breeds take longer to mature? I appreciate your help! Thanks!

My roo is a Jersy Giant and he did not start crowing until about 18 weeks, now he will not shut up!
lau.gif

I have some BO hens and they seem to be maturing at diffrent rates. One is laying, the rest are not. Also size is some diffrent and so on. I imagine that he will crow when he has something to crow about!
big_smile.png

Also when mine started crowing it was not long until he was "visiting with the girls". He is quite the stud and crows to let everyone know!
gig.gif

Give him time, he will crow!
ya.gif

Good luck to you and your roo!

Last edited:
I have right now in my yard --

1 banty dutch roo 1 yr old crows ALL THE TIME
1 sebright roo ( 4 months old ) crowing for nearly a month maybe longer
1 lakenvelder roo ( 4 months ) has been crowing steady for about 2 weeks
1 banty cochin roo ( 4 months ) just started crowing yesterday
1 barred rock roo ( 4 months ) has NEVER even tried to crow lol

so if yours is broken than I guess mine is too lol

Quote:
lol.png
Thank you for the laugh and the advice!

Ashyannehand, Im sure your right! He will eventually crow, then I will be wanting to shut him up!
big_smile.png
Thanks for helping me to feel better!

You have to wind them up - there should be a thing at the back end and if you turn it - he'll crow.

Most of us get the roo all ready at night, so in the morning they're ready to crow.

My SO swears he has enough experience with chickens to be able to translate what they are saying. When we were up most of the night with phone calls from his work and then the rooster crowed at 4:30, my SO swears the rooster was saying "Can someone please show me the way to the frying pan???"
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom