Is my Rooster Changing?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nuggetsowner:), Sep 8, 2007.

1. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    My Nugget has always been this great, funny, sweet, gentle, rooster, but.....
    twice now this last week I have spent my normal time feed talking and whatnot with my chickens during my morning routine. Then as I turn to leave the run (with my back turned) Nugget will charge up behind me stomping his feet and flapping his wings. He does not make a sound and he does not touch me but it does make me nervous. Both times he has done this I have turned and said NO in a very loud voice and then kind of chased him around the run a little bit. I remembered reading on another post about teaching him that I am the dominate roo???
    Anyway Do you think he is showning signs of becoming agressive? He has not done this at any other time of the day or to anyone else. He will turn 19 weeks old on Monday. He is with 8 lovely girls. I just want to protect my boys who often go in the run. Thanks.

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Yes, he's becoming a little more agressive, but I wouldn't worry too much, sounds like you are handling it right.

I've had roo's do this and never touch me. As long as you continue to let him know who's in charge I don't think he'll become a problem.

Morning is when roo's seem to " feel their oats" the most.

3. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Thanks! I just wanted to know that I wasn't going to have to sent Nugget into the soup pot!! It would break my heart!![​IMG]

4. EmsoffLambs

EmsoffLambs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2007
    Chilcoot, CA
    My light Brahma rooster, Rodger, is 3 1/2 months old. He's been crowing for awhile and is top roo of about 5 other roos and 5 hens. I plan on keeping him. He's pretty confident, not even feeling the need to boss the other roos or hens like the other roos do. He's never shown any aggression toward me at all.

So my question is, at what age will roos start showing aggression? Do I just have a sweety, or will he get bad as he grows up?

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Thats a hard one to answer... some never do, others can start very young, or anywhere in between.

Between 14 - 21 weeks is when most start to show agression.

6. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    My partridge rocks started biting me when they were 2 months old, but they are little punks.

They are in their place for now, and run away from me. Today my jap roo (who always puffs up but doesn't normally attack anyone ever) dragged one of them around by the head, which was almost funny cuz he's much smaller. They are 14 weeks now.

Hope my jap roo stays nice. He's my favorite, and way too small to eat anyway.

trish

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    19 weeks? 8 hens? Oh my yes, you have a male coming into his place in the grand scheme of things.

Roo aggression is sort of a misnomer, actually. They aren't aggressive as we reckon things. Rather, he was challenging you and showing you whose who in HIS world - it's what he does. Your choosing to fight back may put him in his place, since he lost the fray with you and now has little else to do but assume a submissive position with you. It might only make him more determined, too.

One thing I can assure you, he was watching your every move up until his display. Pay attention to him from now on. You'll likely note his vigilance when you are around and even spot some posturing, back and forth pacing and physical alignment patterns that precede any displays. Most interesting to me is his choice of time and place to display for you. Why when you were leaving, with your back turned?
    Is the place he "showed out" near the hens or the coop?

The real questionis will he get rowdier and escalate the displays? Very likely. It's what they do. An excellent bit of reading on this is to be found in Backyard Poultry's Online article section. Here it is:

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/1/1-2/Harvey_Ussery.html

Watch Nugget closely from now on. For two reasons.

First, you allow your children around a virile male and his harem. I will suggest that is a bad idea. Cocks/cockerels know nothing of "harmony down on the farm" or other idealistic notions and children especially seem to bother them to no end. Their sharp movements, high pitched voices and eye level antics seem designed to stir up roosters.

Many blame the cock for such behavior, saying he's bad or even evil. Nothing is further from the truth. Since he is the only male you have, you should try an preserve him. With that in mind, it is best to keep small kids away from a protective male. Barring that, you should teach them what is going on and stay on guard - you found out today what turning your back on him gets. Right now he's still small. You can probably teach him a lesson, and I hope so. I doubt, however, the kiddies ever could.

In the worst case of a rascally roo, he must be isolated, removed or destroyed.

The other reason to watch your male is that you are experiencing the onset of one of the most fascinating behavioral episodes you are likely to see anywhere. The male coming into his flock is one of the pivotal moments in the chicken yard.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2007
  8. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    yeah keep the kids away.. chester got a bit agressive and i havent let my niece or nephew go in the run with him and the comets and RIR since..

but your handling it good. chester hasnt had an outburst since i let him know i was dominant.. but i dont wanna take a chance, ya know? better to be safe than sorry.

9. jollyjacktarjack

jollyjacktarjack New Egg

Sep 7, 2007
    Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum but I too have problems with my Rooster - Bunny.

Bunny is quite short in stature but more than makes up for this by being very vocal. He is about 36 months old and until recently has been well behaved. He usually stomps around his pen with his little chest puffed out bothering all the other Hens as you would expect him to do. In fact you could see he was a hyperactive little Rooster with ADhd!

However recently he too is displaying changes in his personality. For instance he seems to have gone off his food and follows me around when I go into his enclosure. He has 'gone off' the Hens also which has quite frankly left me more than a little worried.

Is Bunny's behaviour normal and has anyone else experienced a change in their Rooster?

Please help.

JJTJ

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    36 months? I shouldn't wonder that old Bunny is aging. Cocks keep themselves at a high pitch during their active span, which of course means there's got to be a crash somewhere doen the line. The lifespan of the chicken isn't all that long, you knowm, and they don't last forever...

Having said that, someone will likely pop-up and announce THEIR rooster is twenty years old, still mating and fighting. Maybe, but dont lay stock in that for yours. He's 3 years old and by your account hasn't stinted over that time. He's probably wearing down, or perhaps has fallen ill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by