Is My Rooster Courting My Hen???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CochinBrahmaLover, Jan 8, 2012.

1. So I'm pretty sure my rooster was courting our bantam hen.
    So heres the story, my rooster got injured and we brought him in the house to heal, well so he won't get lonely every now and then we bring in one of our hens, well I brought in Domino, our bantam hen, at first I thought my rooster was chasing her because he didn't like her. Well I brought her back in to observe him since hens have been known to run away from a roo wanting to breed. Well when I watched he came up to her and dropped his wings and walked around her while she ran around. It looked like he was courting. Do roosters court? I never thought they did. Thanks for the info!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Yes and that's pretty much how some do it.

3. So they don't care if they are injured? And why is she running away? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    What was injured on him? She probably didn't want to mate with him. I'm not sure though. But ive read that the hens will not let the rooster if they don't want to. But some rooster will then force them.

5. His comb and he's been standing on one leg. His earlobes have some cuts and his neck is bruised, but he has nothing serious, just scraped up.

6. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Well he needs both legs to mate. I don't know if he cares. I guess not.

7. he walks around and all just if he sleeps on the floor not laying down he sleeps on one leg i think he hurt his foot and its a little sore

8. willowbranchfarm

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Oh ok.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, good gentlemen roosters do court their ladies. It's the Rooster Wing Dance of Love you've seen him attempt!

10. lol wonderful name. I always thought he was a good rooster, guess hes a gentleman too [​IMG]
    Thanks for the info, I was just making sure. [​IMG]

Oh and he didn't seem very good at it, but he is hurt..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by