Is my rooster happy about eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickmashnoon, Oct 15, 2011.

1. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, just curious- don't want to anthropormorphise or whatever you call it when you give animals human emotions, but it seems that my rooster crows for happiness when my hens lay an egg. Is this just my imagination or is he really bragging about his possibility of progeny? I know when to gather those cackleberries if I am listening to him. Is this just coincidence?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It's probably a territorial thing, saying, "these are my hens, my eggs"

3. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    He is just answering back the hen. Also advertising to any other roosters that might be in the area that said hen of mating age belongs to him.

4. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    I know what you mean. They really do sound happy. The whole flock seems to celebrate when an egg is laid!

5. Martha80

Martha80 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Randolph Co. Indiana
    If you free range your birds you will notice that the flock doesn't hang around waiting for a hen to get off the nest. When she's done, (and usually off and away from the nest) she will sing the "egg song", (we call it the 'come and get me song'), when the rooster hears her he then answers and soon appears to gather her into the rest of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by