Is my rooster in love?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by schmije, Oct 25, 2009.

1. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    We have two new roosters that were just turned loose with our girls yesterday. One of the roos immediately took to a particular hen. He follows her and dances for her constantly. He seems to have very little interest in any of the other girls. Today we gave them some pumpkin for a treat, and he guarded a pile of pumpkin goo so that only he and she could eat it. He chased everybody else away. I didn't know that roosters behaved like this over a single hen. We've gotten a big kick out of watching him. I know it's only been a day, but has anybody else experienced this?

2. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    yes. What color is her comb and wattles. My roo is only interested in the RIR pullets that have red combs...the immature pink color doesn't appeal to him.

3. cnj-tx50

cnj-tx50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    North of Dallas, TX
    Not only did my roo - he's such a sweet guy!! - pick out one, but he led her to the nest, got in and scratched around then talked real sweet to her!! When she got into the nest he stayed with her and cood the whole time. Now if I'm in the coop cleaning and she is ready to lay her egg he comes in and ask me to leave - very nicely - and guards the door!!! And today he has picked another one!!!! Hoping for eggs soon!!!

4. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    She has red comb and wattles, but so do our other girls. She is the smallest hen, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Cnj - your response answered another question for me. I saw the hen standing in the door of the coop looking inside this morning. I thought it was weird, so I checked it out. When I opened the door 'her' roo was sitting in a nest box! I thought it was strange, but since he's new here, I didn't pay much attention to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by