Is my rooster just mean?

NCchickentender

Songster
Mar 14, 2023
I've got a rooster (4 more but they are kept separated from the rest) and 5 hens. Buddy is a good boy to me and most of the hens. However, there is one hen that he is just straight up mean to!! When he heads in her direction she just lays down and waits for him but when he get near her, he grabs her neck and slings her around! He does his thing then slings her around some more. They are free range so she tries to stay away from him to the point that she was always alone. She's got to where she wouldn't sleep in the coup. After a week of this I tried letting one of the younger roosters out, hoping he'd take up with her. He did but now Buddy chases them both. We've been trying to give the roosters away but nobody seems to want roosters. My question is, is it normal for a rooster to chase a hen out of the flock?

My question is, is it normal for a rooster to chase a hen out of the flock?
Hi there, hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow

No, I agree with others it is NOT normal.

I also get the feeling we're talking about cockerels and not roosters?? It's only natural that he would chase one of the other boys that's been locked up as he established the hens are HIS harem, including the extra (possibly excessively) docile one..

For whatever reason you've decided Buddy should get access to the ladies instead of being locked up with his buddies.. I'm not sure.. but he's GOT to go!

Craigslist farm and garden section is your friend. :drool

Alternatively, and not my preference.. re-home the lady he has a problem with.. but watch and see other behaviors that develop and escalate outta that boy.. he's given the first signs of his true temperament.. and this goes beyond clumsy, & still learning.

Solve for peace! :fl

Hi there, hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow

No, I agree with others it is NOT normal.

I also get the feeling we're talking about cockerels and not roosters?? It's only natural that he would chase one of the other boys that's been locked up as he established the hens are HIS harem, including the extra (possibly excessively) docile one..

For whatever reason you've decided Buddy should get access to the ladies instead of being locked up with his buddies.. I'm not sure.. but he's GOT to go!

Craigslist farm and garden section is your friend. :drool

Alternatively, and not my preference.. re-home the lady he has a problem with.. but watch and see other behaviors that develop and escalate outta that boy.. he's given the first signs of his true temperament.. and this goes beyond clumsy, & still learning.

Solve for peace! :fl
Thank you! I do enjoy BYC and come here often for answers. Lots and lots of info here! Buddy is 2.5 years old and he just started acting like this with this hen. The cockerels were separated before this started too. I've never seen one act like this. I hatched these boys 10-11 months ago and just can't give them away. People just wanted the pullets. I'll be checking Craigslist!

Buddy is 2.5 years old and he just started acting like this with this hen.
Ouch, sorry to hear that!

Most roosters would be considered to have proven themselves by then.. and be very valued members of their flocks (including the keeper).. generally only the good boys make it THAT far.. maybe he's earned the benefit of the doubt??

I'm not a proponent of one being ousted due to underlying health conditions that might attract disease or predation and somehow only the flock (or lead) can detect.. but do have to wonder why the sudden change at a decent age.

Azygous even has some good information when one is "asking" to be bullied (or somehow accidentally inviting it) how to build their confidence back.. that may be just as helpful as all of our suggestions to cull either by re-homing, harvesting, composting, etc..

Roosters and hens have a set of personal behaviors. So it's hard to say why he would behave that way unless your watching for signs of what triggered him to be that way. But just because he is expected to accept every hen in the flock won't always happen.

I've seen this with my own flock. But for my situation, I gave her space to roost by herself for several months. Had her spend daylight hours with flock and my rooster finally came around to accepting her. She was a young hen under a year old.

But I do agree with everyone's opinion on getting rid of the rooster if you want an immediate change.

The only reason I’ve ever had a rooster try to chase off a hen was because she had lice and all the chickens knew it before I did… once that was taken care of he didn’t chase her off anymore.

I’d check your hen over well before making a decision but if you don’t find anything I would definitely get rid of Buddy!

Back
Top Bottom