Is my Rooster normal?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Deebsra, Jan 9, 2013.

Should I keep this Roo??

Poll closed Jan 25, 2013.
  1. Eat him

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Sell him

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Keep him

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Deebsra

Deebsra Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    That in itself sounds like an oxy-moron, but everything I've read about roosters has me concerned. I have a bunch of Rhode Island Red pullets and 1 ameraucana roo and he has been fine till last week. They were all hatched on Sept. 11th. My 5 year old daughter picks him up every day and 'man handles' him and that's fine, he doesn't chase her or anything. He did attack my friend's 2 year old a couple days ago and I was hoping he'd be sweeter then that but I also know that's normal (I had a barred rock bantam roo growing up and he scared me to death many times at 10). However I've noticed over the past couple weeks he is mean to ALL the pullets. He usually lets them eat first, but he chases them all over the yard and pecks at their combs. I've had a few with missing pieces of comb and blood on their faces. I wanted to know if THAT was 'normal' for a roo, because I feel like everything I've read says that the roo protects the flock, not chases and intimidates the flock.

Now they are around 18-19 weeks so they aren't laying yet but do you think that a roo like this would keep them from feeling safe enough to lay? Penny for your thoughts. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He's a teen ager trying to impress the girls. He may settle down or not. Keep him away from all kids! He has the potential to put out an eye with his toenails if he flogs a child. Sadly, I'm almost willing to bet that his 'human aggression' will increase.

3. Deebsra

Sep 16, 2012
    He actually took a chunk out of my daughter's eyebrow today and when she fell down screaming (she was holding him) he mounted her and started attacking her...

4. Island Roo

Island Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2012
    Duncan, BC
    Freezer camp.

Human aggression.
    Child safety.
    Injuring and harassing the girls.

I had a jerk roo that went to camp - then the hens started to lay normally.

5. DURR

DURR Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    Screven, GA, US
    To me that sounds kinda strange the only roosters I've heard of that were aggressive like that were the "fighting roosters" like some game fowl. But then again I am inexperianced at having chickens but Ameraucana's are supposed to be generally gentle "giants". Even with my boys having little human handling aren't violent. But then again he might be thinking that he want's to be on top. Even with the hens their will be a set heirarcy between them. It could also mean that he's reached "maturity" before your hens and he has pent up aggervation from it, and trying to beat them into it. My roosters get a little moody when younger pullets begin to reach maturity. But that's just my guess.

But I also agree with island roo anything that's a danger to young children must be rid of.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

He should be put down. Sorry. We had to do that too years ago.

7. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    He needs to go!!! Children around him are not safe. Your hens will be happier and most likely the top hen will take up the protector role - may not fight to protect but will be alert to warn.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

His attitude to the hens will change when they become sexually mature,
    but the other aggression is a problem.

9. marlo1968

marlo1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    I agree, freezer camp, he'll make a great pot of chicken and dumplings or chicken noodle soup....I had an EE Roo that was aggressive to my 2 year old grandson....then he made the mistake of attacking my husband while he had a board in his hand....freezer camp

10. Deebsra

Sep 16, 2012
    So we ended up selling him to a guy that wanted to breed eggers of his kinds. Thanks for your tips!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by