Is my rooster "normal"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thatlaidyb, Feb 12, 2014.

1. thatlaidyb

thatlaidyb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2012
    Dayton, TN
    Meet Kelly. He is my one year old Welsummer rooster.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't know what to make of him these days... I have seen roosters calling hens over when they find food, keeping hens from fighting, and mating with hens. Kelly doesn't do any of these things. Well a five months ago he was mating with the hens but then he stopped. He pecks the hens whenever he finds a treats (he does not share never has) and he keeps two of the hens away from the food that I put out for them. Kelly actually pecks all of the hens which causes the hens to gang up on which ever hen he happens to be pecking that day. Is this normal or do I need a new rooster? Thanks for any advice that you can give.

2. pound4pound

pound4pound Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2014
    watching, wild and free!
    your rooster needs some time off and needs nutritional attention..

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    He's magnificent looking anyway.

More info about the situation might help folks give helpful advice.

How many hens and roosters do you have?
    How old are they?
    Are you sure he's not mating them? It's a pretty quick deal, you can check the egg yolks as you use them for eating to confirm.

Sounds like he might need new home or be invited to dinner...or maybe seclude him for a few weeks then reintroduce to see if the pecking stops.

4. thatlaidyb

Jun 30, 2012
    Dayton, TN
    Thank you. He reminds me of the rooster on the Kellogg's box. Right now I have 6 hens that are same age as Kelly and I have 2 that are about 4 months old. It's the younger 2 that he doesn't let near the food. I check their eggs so I'm sure that he is not mating them. 0% fertility.

What kind of nutritional attention?

5. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    sorry to hijack this thread, but how do you tell by looking at an egg if it is fertilized or not?

6. thatlaidyb

Jun 30, 2012
    Dayton, TN
  7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If there are multiple feeders and waterers, it might all work out....or you can give him the ax since he's not doing any of his jobs...except looking pretty.

8. pound4pound

pound4pound Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2014
    watching, wild and free!
    nutritional attention, meaning cage the rooster where he can see the hens and load his water with electrolytes. same goes with the hens.

electrolyte treatment everyday for 2 weeks after that alternate it with fresh water.

or he might want to be a monk...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by