1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my rooster okay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MattalynsBarn, Sep 18, 2010.

1. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    My 12 week old SS roo has been learning to crow (SO CUTE) but about a week or so ago he stopped. Is this normal?

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Are you sure he was crowing? They usually don't start until about 5-6 months, but closer to 6.

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Do you have any other roos? Some of my early bloomers have decided that toning things down is in their best intrest since they are not even close to being able to challenge the head roo and when they crow it gets his attention.....

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Maybe he just doesn't have anything to say right now?

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    My EE rooster did that--he started trying to crow at about 8/10 weeks then quit and now is back at it again. I'd even crow at him to get him to crow back and he wouldn't but sure does now! I suspect he didn't like the way he sounded at first--it was like he was being strangled--so waited until he could get the tune right.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:This^^^
    Also, they take spells. Sometimes my adult roo will go weeks without crowing and then start crowing all day long.

I also have three cockerels, all 14 weeks old. One crows daily, close to non-stop. One throws in a few crows a day and one only crows once in awhile.

7. MattalynsBarn

MattalynsBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    Quote:This sounds like my roo. This is the first time we've had chickens, so there is no one to compete with. He started making different sounds from the girls around 8 weeks, and really started crowing around 11 weeks. He has started crowing again, but wont crow when I crow at him, they all just stare at me like I'm crazy <3

8. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    Mine started somewhere between 13 and 14 weeks, I think. At first, we weren't sure what the noise was, or where it was coming from. It would happen one day, then he'd go silent for a few days. Eventually, he started his daily thing, and hasn't shut up since. Enjoy the peace and quiet - it won't last long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by