Is my rooster pet quality or ok for breeding quality?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Teresaann24, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Here is some pics of him.

His name is Romeo. He is smooth with the ladies..LOL Also is bearded or non bearded?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  2. Psittizen Shikkin

Psittizen Shikkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
    I'm sorta bumping this up because I'm curious and there's a lot of posts today. [​IMG]

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Bearded white silkie

Looks pet quality, since his top hat is not as big as the show quality ones. If you want to breed just nice silkies for 4H, I see why not or get more daughters out of him for broodies!

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:thank you! I thought the same thing. If only he had more of a poof on his head he has a beautiful tail. He has already gaven me some beautiful chicks.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I like him. Wish his comb was dark. Those really poofy heads can make a silky really vulnerable. If you are not planning to show, he is otherwise a pretty bird.

"Show Winners" are not always the best birds to live with.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I dont know anything about breeding, but that bird is GORGEOUS

7. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    What a pretty boy! I don't much about silkies,but i think I have read that the comb has to be black to be show quality.

8. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    so there comb is to be black not red? What causes some to have red combs instead of the black? See that goes to show you how new I am to silkies/chickens I just thought all roosters had red combs.

Thanks everyone I think he is beautiful too he is my lovey boy he is so sweet of a rooster.

I wasn't planning on showing him just breeding him but I didnt want to keep breeding him if he was not of really good quality for breeding. Which I think he is he has gave me some beautiful chicks. No washed out colors and maybe those young chicks I think are hens are roos but didnt inherite that red comb?

9. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

His comb should be darker, more of a purple, and his crest should be bigger but if you're not breeding to produce show winners, he's a gorgeous well put together bird!

10. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I kinda like the red comb better than the black o_O

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by