Is my rooster really a hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by schatze, Feb 16, 2016.

1. schatze

schatze Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Casper is almost 6 months old. Up until last month he was developing like his brothers who are very grand looking, and both of them have started to crow.

Casper is smaller than they are but bigger than his sisters. He acts more like the hens but doesn't hang out with anyone.

I have 2 other small roosters who were completely raised by their mother. They're a week older than my other young birds but look younger and smaller. If not for their changing coloring, I'd never believe they were roosters. Is this common for roosters at the bottom of the pecking order?

My main question, is Casper really a hen? Father is a white favorelle and mother is an ameraucana. Casper has deformed feet with 4.5 toes per foot. The 5th toes are more fused to the 4th.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    Casper looks like a pretty hen to me, but you might want to rely more on the experts [​IMG]

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Casper is a pullet.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Casper is an Easter Egger pullet. :eek:)

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Casper looks like a pullet getting ready to lay.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Casper is a girl

7. schatze

Feb 25, 2011
    Thanks, everyone. Hopefully she'll start laying soon. She's the only chicken I have that looks like the father.

She's still considered an easter egger even though only one parent is an ameraucana? I am curious as to what color eggs she'll lay.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome. If the parent is a true Ameraucana (a blue egg layer), then Casper is definitely an Easter Egger as EEs are hybrids produced by crossing blue egg layers with brown egg layers to produce offspring that lay eggs in colors other than just blue (usually some shade of green). However, it Casper's parent is actually an Easter Egger, then whether or not Casper is an Easter Egger depends partly on how you define an Easter Egger. Since EEs are hybrids and there are no SOP standards for them, BYC members disagree on whether some birds are actually EEs or just mixed breeds. Casper looks like an Easter Egger with that pea comb, however the Ameraucana Breeders Association (which is the closest thing out there to an authoritative body on EEs) defines an Easter Egger as any bird that carries the blue egg gene but does not meet the SOP standards for Ameraucanas. So according to the ABA's definition of an EE, Casper will only be an Easter Egger if she carries the blue egg gene (if she lays eggs that are some shade of blue or green). According to the ABA, if her eggs are some shade of brown, then she is just a mixed breed and not an Easter Egger. That being the case you will just have to wait until she lays to know for sure.

9. schatze

Feb 25, 2011
    According to another on here, her mother is a poor quality blue wheaten ameraucana.

Casper did lay her first egg today! It has a slightly greenish tint to it compared to her mother's, but I think it would still be considered more blue than green. She seemed very proud of it.

[​IMG]

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What a beautiful shade! congrats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by